Thank you

Give us your opinions on the new forums here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:22 pm

I guess my thanks are for miker and Peter Thomsen whom I suspect are responsible for this major revision of the forum. A special thanks for getting rid of the spam invasion/pollution. Let's hope it doesn't come back.
Congratulations also for the interface, it is better and very clear.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Not so. Thanks go to the forum administrators.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Ok, but then, a global thank you to you and Peter for your expertise and willingness to share it.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

miker

Post by miker » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:42 pm

For that, you're welcome!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

FinaleForum
Site Admin
Finale Version: 25

Post by FinaleForum » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Michel,

Glad you like the new setup. It was long overdue! I would like to second your thoughts about our moderators! They are very much appreciated, as are you. You might as well be a moderator too a you have over 1100 posts. Thanks.

Let me give some history here just so you have an understanding of why this forum exists. I started the Finale Forum back in 1994 or so because I was a full time composer and figured I could use some help with Finale. What immediately happened was people started asking ME questions instead of me answering THEIR questions. There was an obvious need for the forum as Coda (at the time) had no forum so I left it up here. Over the years we upgraded the forums as needed, but my business ventures were taking over and I was no longer a full time composer. The Finale Forum wasn't making any money and in fact, it was costing me money. I figured I'd just leave it up there so that people could use it. I placed some ads on it, but it just sat here not making enough to cover the costs. I have to admit, I basically ignored it for awhile because I was so busy on other much larger projects.

One day I got an email telling me that the forum was taken over by spam. I thought about just shutting down the forum as Coda (MakeMusic) had launched their own forums and I wondered if there was even a need anymore. I looked over the forums and found that people were still trying to use it. At that point I put out a request for moderators, and started to crack down on spam. Mike and Peter volunteered and things started to look up. I decided to add some features like attachments and spam reporting, but I knew we needed a new forum. I just didn't have the time to mess with it. Finally the other day I came by and realized that the old system was just too old, so I bit the bullet and decided to take the time to convert it into this new system myself.

There are several choices for forum software, but overall I think this one fits our needs pretty well. It's not as flashy as some, but it's clean, and fast. I've changed the default style a bit to make the lists easier to read. I've added some padding around the topic titles because they were too close together for my eye. I'm still experimenting so there might be a few more changes. I've also tried to be as discreet as possible with the ads. I hate ads, but we really do need to try to recoup some money if we can, so I've tried to not let them disrupt the purpose of the forum. Feel free to let me know your thoughts on the layout and ads. I'm still tweaking it. There will be little bugs here and there I'm sure, but at this point the new forums look to be stable. The advanced search works well, and amazingly the conversion kept all of our attachments.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for our moderators, Mike and Peter. They have the heart to help people, and are willing to spend time doing it for nothing. Without them, this forum would be much less useful.

Sorry for the novel here. I hope this gives some perspective on a few things. We're going to try to pay a bit more attention to what goes on here, and hopefully we will be able to address issues quicker than in the past. I also hope the Finale Forum continues to be of service to all my fellow composers/musicians out there!

Thanks.

-Scott
Forum Admin

A few other things:

Remember, if you spot spam please report it with the icon on the message.

I'm turning BBCodes back on. If it causes a problem it will be turned back off.

Let me plug a book that one of my friends, Vince Leonard, helped write. It's called Finale: An Easy Guide to Music Notation, Second Edition. You can find it in our store.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:53 pm

Yes, thank you.

My guess is that MM management will not relent about saving the other forums, so I hope this one can take over. We'll need to be sure to post a pointer here for posterity.

miker

Post by miker » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:46 pm

motet,

Welcome!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

motet

Post by motet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:25 am

Thank you both.

So it's been telling me at the top 0 new messages, 0 new messages, 0 new messages, but here there's a new message. When I click on it I see the whole thread. Is this the way it works, or can it remember what I've seen?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:02 am

motet wrote:… So it's been telling me at the top 0 new messages, 0 new messages, 0 new messages, but here there's a new message. When I click on it I see the whole thread. Is this the way it works, or can it remember what I've seen?
My guess is that you are confusing (thread) posts and (private) messages.

To view (thread) posts, go to the forum(s).

To view (private) messages, go to your Control Panel.

I hope that this is clear?
If not, ask again.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet

Post by motet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:41 am

Ah, got it. I'll take any other questions to a more appropriate topic.

Again, thanks for being here.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:40 pm

I would also like to thank the forum moderators for the invitation to join this group.
I, like so many others, am greatly dismayed that MakeMusic has decided to do away with its forum and replace it with something absolutely not equivalent.

I hope to be able to contribute to the community here.
Last edited by Michel R E on Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:07 am

It's interesting now, no longer seeing the shortcut to the MakeMusic forum on my browser toolbar.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.