Troubles with Garritan

The place to discuss Finale's SmartMusic.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Slavicek
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Slavicek » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:22 am

I use Finale 2007 with GPO included. Sometimes when I write melodies for woodwind, let say clarinet, the last note kind of disappears. I'm aware that GPO tries to imitate human play (that's why is called human playback after all), but it goes to decresendo too much for my taste. I lose the last, or even two last notes. Can anyone help me with this one? Is there any way to avoid this "sound effect"? Or maybe I do something wrong?

Thanks.

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

Post by MichaelTrumpetPlayer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:49 pm

That was interesting?

I didn't understand the reply but I confirm having the same problem as the orignal message. I very much also would like to know how to eliminate the annoying drastic fade out on the last long note in a piece using Garritan Personal Orchestra and Finale so-called "Human playback."

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:02 am

Go to Playback Settings (Speaker icon beside the tempo indicator in the Playback Control area), click on HP Preferences, then click on "Dynamics & Volume". Uncheck the box beside "Automatic Diminuendo on Long Ending Notes".

I am not sure why that is the default setting, but people would probably never turn it on if the default was off. It makes sense on slow delicate music, but it seems counter-expected for other types of music.

Two more things that I recommend that you change are in the Tempo Variation area of HP preferences. I turn off "Ritardando before" fermatas, and turn on "Don't Randomize (Exact Timing)" in the tempo area. If you don't turn on "Exact Timimg", then Finale inserts a stretch in the first count of the bar. It is not too bad under some circumstances, but if you have running 8th notes, or worse, running 16ths, then that stretch is painful to my brain as a percussionist.

Back in the "Dynamics & Volume" area, you may want to play with the Hairpin Emphasis and the Automatic Expession Emphasis in order to get the dynamics to work to your satisfaction. Depending upon the instruments that you use, the default settings may not be optimal for you.

I do wish that Finale would add a section to the manual explaining all the nuances of Human Playback. Something for the wishlist, but I think I have requested it before.

Warren

davidjoseph
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by davidjoseph » Wed May 17, 2023 6:29 am

Slavicek wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:22 am
I use Finale 2007 with GPO included. Sometimes when I write melodies for woodwind, let say clarinet, the last note kind of disappears. I'm aware that GPO tries to imitate human play (that's why is called human playback after all), but it goes to decresendo too much for my taste. I lose the last, or even two last notes. Can anyone help me with this one? Is there any way to avoid this "sound effect"? Or maybe I do something wrong? foundation repair new braunfels tx

Thanks.
Check the dynamics marking for the affected clarinet part. You could try increasing the dynamic level of the last notes to ensure they don't get lost in the decrescendo. Experimenting with different dynamic markings can help you achieve the desired balance.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu May 18, 2023 4:29 pm

You realize you are responding to a 13 year-old post?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Jay Emmes
Finale Version: 25.4.1.164
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jay Emmes » Sat May 20, 2023 3:19 pm

Usually it's sufficient to repeat the dynamic setting of the start of the passage right before where the audible diminuendo starts. You can hide the when marking you don't want it visible in the score. Human playback will have the start of the last (two) note(s) at the same volume as the start of the passage and shorten the diminuendo to the very last note.

With this you will not have to change the Human Playback settings, which are not document specific, so will affect all of your documents.

Sure, the post is old, but the "problem" is still present. So for anyone looking for answers, it makes sense to add information, I think.
Running Finale 25.4.1.163 in OS X 10.11.6