Playback hangs

Discuss Coda's Notepad here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rotogurudave

Post by rotogurudave » Wed May 11, 2005 9:53 pm

I purchased Allegro 2001 several years ago. I recently replaced my computer with a new one, and installed Allegro 2001 from the original CD. The old computer used Windows98 SE, but the new one uses XP Pro.

The new installation seems fine in all respects but one - whenever I am playing a piece, the playback seems to randomly hang. When it hangs, the green line that traces across the score simply freezes, and all playback stops. At that point, I have to close down the program, and open it again in order to be able to playback. Sometimes I can get through an entire composition without the problem occuring, but usually it will happen, and never at the same place twice.

Any ideas as to what would cause this, and how to fix it?

I am considering upgrading to Allegro 2005. Is it likely that this would cure the problem? I don't want to upgrade if the problem is likely to persist. Without playback capability, the software loses much of its utility for me.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:56 am

rotogurudave wrote:I purchased Allegro 2001 several years ago. I recently replaced my computer with a new one, and installed Allegro 2001 from the original CD. The old computer used Windows98 SE, but the new one uses XP Pro.

The new installation seems fine in all respects but one - whenever I am playing a piece, the playback seems to randomly hang. When it hangs, the green line that traces across the score simply freezes, and all playback stops. At that point, I have to close down the program, and open it again in order to be able to playback. Sometimes I can get through an entire composition without the problem occuring, but usually it will happen, and never at the same place twice...
Have you tried running Allegro 2001 in Compatibility Mode?

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

rotogurudave

Post by rotogurudave » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:56 pm

No. I don't even know what compatibility mode is, or how to implement it.