Questions about Finale Notepad Demo

Discuss Coda's Notepad here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BigSi67

Post by BigSi67 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:12 pm

I have installed the demo of Notepad and have a few questions about it. I have never used any Finale version before and so these might be really obvious, apologies if they are...

1. Once you have started a piece of music can you add another stave and if so how? I tend to gradually add parts to the composition and don't usually know how many I am going to need when I first create it. Also can you change the title after creating a piece of music?

2. When I tried to write a guitar or bass part with a tab I had no idea how to get notes on the tabs, how is this done?

3. If I try to enter a chord via MIDI (from my synth) it sometimes interprets it as a series of notes rather than them all being one chord. I guess this is because my timing is slightly off but is there a way to make it less sensitive?

Thanks

Simon

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:15 pm

BigSi67 wrote:...1. Once you have started a piece of music can you add another stave and if so how? I tend to gradually add parts to the composition and don't usually know how many I am going to need when I first create it. Also can you change the title after creating a piece of music?...
With NotePad you can't.
Workaround:
- Create a new document, and copy the music into the new document.

If you find NotePad too limited, I suggest that you try the PrintMusic demo.
Or perhaps the SongWriter demo will be enough?

BigSi67 wrote:...2. When I tried to write a guitar or bass part with a tab I had no idea how to get notes on the tabs, how is this done?...
TAB notes can be entered directly into the TAB staff, but I suggest that you (since you are about to learn the program) first enter the music into the standard staff, and then copy the music to the TAB staff.

To learn how to edit and enter notes in a TAB staff, take a look at the menus and sub-menus in the Simple Entry Tool.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

BigSi67

Post by BigSi67 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:57 pm

Thanks for your answers.

Do you think it is worth getting the Song Writer version instead of Notepad? I think i will get the Demo version of that and see if it is worth the extra.