Change three parts on one staff to individual staffs

Discuss Coda's Notepad here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rhenkel

Post by rhenkel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:18 pm

Hello,

I'm using Allegro for the first time. I would like to write a three part arrangement (trumpet, tenor and bari sax) all on one staff and then have each of the individual parts show in its respective staff. Using an older version of Finale I remember there was an "explode parts" command. Can I do this in Allegro?

Thank you.

Allegro 2007, MacBook 10.4.11

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:55 pm

If the Explode command is not there, then no, Allegro can't do it.

I hope you didn't just buy Allegro. It's in v2007, lacking all the improvements of the last 4 versions, and MM has said that they have no plans to update it at this time. IMHO, they should not even be selling it without a full disclosure.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

rhenkel

Post by rhenkel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks for your reply and comment about it being a somewhat dated product. No I haven't purchased it yet, I'm trying out the demo, but I did want to use Allegro 2007 partially because I'd like to use it on a Mac laptop with OS 10.4

I'm going to keep working with it and look for a possible "work around" (maybe using layers) but I realize I may have to ante up for an up-to-date operating system and a program with the ability to separate / explode parts.

Thanks

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:35 am

If you are writing the piece yourself, then there is no problem. Write each part in its own layer. I thought you already had the 3 parts in one staff. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But I would suggest: Reverse your thinking. Write each part into its own staff. Then, you can easily extract the parts for individual printing.

Put the two other parts into layers 2 and 3, and you can copy/paste them into the layer one staff.

That's how I do a LOT of 4-part choral work, into 2 staves.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society