Help transposing instruments in allegro 2007

Discuss Coda's Notepad here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

johnnyq098

Post by johnnyq098 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:01 am

Hi all,

as a Sibelius user, I have very little experience with Finale programs. However, since I received music that I am going to perform in MUS format, I have no other choice than to ask you for help.

Now, I have all music written for French Horn which is in F, and I have to transpose it for Flugelhorn which is in B. Can anybody tell me which is the easiest way to do this? There is about 15 pieces that I have to transpose, so an easy and quick way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri May 27, 2011 1:57 pm

I don't have Allegro to check, but there is a Transpose... command somewhere. Look in the Utilities menu. If it isn't there, look it up in the help files.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri May 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Is playback an issue?

If the staff transposition is set up correctly (= in F), then the playback will be at Concert Pitch, while the layout will display Notated Pitch.

Then, if you use the Staff Tool to change the staff transposition (to Bb), the playback will still be correct (= in Concert Pitch), even if the layout's Notated Pitch has changed.

Transposing the music via the Key Signature Tool will give you the desired layout, but the playback will get transposed as well.

Transposing via the command "Transpose..." will transpose the music (both layout and playback) without altering the key signature.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

johnnyq098

Post by johnnyq098 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks for your tips guys. Playback is not an issue.
Instead of a french horn player, I now have a flugelhorn player. Since transposing during a performance for him is uncomfortable, I just need a way to transpose the pieces without copying them again and doing it by hand. I will try this Staff transposition. It seems as a good way to go.
Thanks again

I.