dotted notes becoming tied notes

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

erisajd
Finale Version: 2011
Operating System: Mac

Post by erisajd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:43 pm

I am using PrintMusic on a PC (version 2011a1).

When I either scan or manually enter dotted half notes, dotted quarter notes, dotted eight notes (etc.) and subsequently confirm the time signature (or change the time signature), all the dotted notes are turned into tied notes. A dotted half note becomes a half note tied to a quarter. A dotted quarter note becomes a quarter tied to an eighth. A dotted eighth turns into an eighth tied to a sixteenth.

I don't want that to happen. Never. I want the dotted notes. I like dotted notes. I don't like tied notes when dotted notes are sufficient.

Is there some prefernece to enter to keep that from happening? Some way to reverse it short of erasing the tie and the "half" and replacing it all with the dotted note again?

Surely others have experienced this and have some work around.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:15 pm

Keep in mind that dotted notes are not always correct, whatever you prefer.

In any case, I don't think you can change that in PM. The full Finale has a setting to adjust, but I couldn't find the same thing in PrintMusic. Sorry.

You might want to run that by Tech Support, and see if they know something that I don't.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

erisajd

Post by erisajd » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:32 pm

OK, among other matters this was so irritating that I spent the $$ and upgraded from PrintMusic to full blown Finale 2012.

Now I have to ask how do I set preferences (or whatever it is called) so that my dotted notes don't get automatically converted to tied notes.

I do appreciate the help. I really do.

miker

Post by miker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Look in the MIDI/Audio menu for Quantization Settings>More Settings... and make sure the boxes for Allow Dotted Rests are both checked.
That should do it.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

erisajd

Post by erisajd » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks for your response. I really do appreciate it.

For me, this is not an issue with rests. My issue is with notes. Dotted half notes becoming half notes tied to quarter notes. Dotted quarter notes becoming tied quarters and an eighths. Dotted eighth notes becoming eighth notes tied to sixteenth notes. And so on.

The notes enter correctly as dotted notes and only become a problem (tied notes) when I change (or confirm) the time signature. That happens, for me, when I scan in some music and the scan, no surpirse here, does not always and faithfully/perfectly keep (retain) the time signature. You know, a few 4/4 measures slip into a 3/4 piece or, more likely, a 6/4 meausre slips into what is supposed to be a 3/4 piece. So, I either have to reset the time signature (or at least confirm that it is right). When I do that, all the "dotted notes" become "tied notes" to my considerable frustration.

Yes, I can manually change them all back but I just hope that there is some what to convert them back to dotted notes automatically or better yet to prevent this change from occuring for every single dotted note in the score.

erisajd

Post by erisajd » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Please let me know if I am right or not but I think I may have found the "solution" that keeps this from happening.

In the past, when I changed (or "confirmed") the time signature on a scanned piece, I have been "right clicking" on the mouse and then using what we might call the short-cuts to set the time signature. I have been selecting one of the more or less "canned" time signature settings.

If, however, I "right click" and go to the slightly more tedious "edit time signature . . ." menu choice and unclick the "rebar music" box, the notes do not get "undotted" and turned into "tied" notes . Do you agree? Am I right? Have I found the answer to my problem?

I have found no way to automnatically "dot" the notes that may have become "tied" notes but I may have found a way to keep it from happening in the first instance.

At least I think I have.

Is there some better way to do this?

miker

Post by miker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Did you try the dotted rest suggestion? That affects the notes, as well, even though it says rests.

Please give me the specific steps that you are taking, that cause the dots to change to tied notes. I'll be happy to experiment. Since I don't scan music, maybe you could post a few measures of a score that you have problems with.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

lalucher
Finale Version: 2010b.r1 for Mac
Operating System: Windows

Post by lalucher » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Hello - I am using Finale 2010b.r1 for Mac, in OS X 10.9.4. I have tried checking the "allow dotted rests" boxes to prevent a dotted note from changing to a tied note when I change the time signature. This does not work for me. Is there any other way to keep a dotted note as it is when changing the time signature in a piece?

miker

Post by miker » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Please give us the exact steps you are following: entering notes, changes you make, etc., so we can try it.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

lalucher

Post by lalucher » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:28 pm

I have imported a tiff file with a 17/4 measure that I want to convert to a 5/4 measure followed by 4/4. I selected this measure, chose the Time Signature toolbar "button" and on the drop down menu I reduced the 17/4 to 5/4. I selected measure 1 thru 1, rebar music, then clicked OK. The measure contains a dotted quarter followed by an eighth note. After changing the time signature, the dotted quarter becomes a quarter tied to an eighth note. This happens in other measures containing a dotted quarter next to an eighth note, but not all. When I enter dotted notes into a blank score and change the time signature, it also changes the dotted quarter to a quarter tied to an eighth. I have attached a document (zip file of a tif) with the 17/4 measure, and the measures I entered directly, which change the dotted note when I change the time signature. Hopefully you can work with it. Thank you.
Attachments
Test score.tif.zip
(14.7 KiB) Downloaded 263 times

miker

Post by miker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:10 am

To get the 17 beats, is it a 5/4 followed by three 4/4 measures?
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

lalucher

Post by lalucher » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:18 am

Yes, that's right.