Shared stems between layers

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bheiser
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2014 PC
Operating System: Mac

Post by bheiser » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm using PrintMusic 2014 on windows and am trying to use it to learn new songs from a hymnal. I'm using the shaped notes template which gives me an SA treble clef staff and a TB bass clef staff. I'm entering the soprano part into layer 1, the alto into layer 2, the tenor into layer 3 and the bass into layer 4. In the hymnal, the soprano and alto parts share the same stem for their parts as well as the tenor an bass parts. This works out fine in PrintMusic for quarter notes and half notes but with flagged eighth notes since the flag appears in both layers they look like sixteenth notes and beamed eighth notes show the beam in both layers which is a mess in the score. Is there any way in PrintMusic to get the two layers to share the same stems?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Welcome to the forum!

You can not make two layers share the same stem, sorry.

Here is the way to create the layout:

Enter everything in the same layer (= Layer 1, I suppose).
This means that you enter the two {same staff/beat} part notes as two noteheads on the same note entry stem (= as a dyad chord)

And how do you enter two noteheads on the same stem?

In the Simple Entry Tool with computer keyboard you can add a notehead an interval above the selected notehead by hitting the number keys on the QWERTY keyboard.
To add a notehead a third above the selected notehead, hit the number 3 key.
To add a notehead a fourth above the selected notehead, hit the number 4 key.
To add a notehead a fifth above the selected notehead, hit the number 5 key.
&c. (geddit?)

In the Speedy Entry Tool with computer keyboard you position the crosshair on the desired scale step, and hit the Enter key.

By The Way:
It is even easier with a MIDI keyboard.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996