Printing both hands of piano

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Ted
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by Ted » Fri May 22, 2015 8:21 pm

I'm extremely ignorant as to how PrintMusic works. I want to,while composing,be able to play my composition on my keyboard and have PM print out both hands in the proper rhythm. I realize that this will sound very basic to most,but I just haven't studied it enough to use it properly. Thought I'd start with 'trying' to have it print out my keyboard playing. After that, I'll need to add horns ,strings etc. I wonder if I should start with the whole score? Then....there's another question. :)
Sorry if this is out of line. Just tell me and I'll "hit the old instruction book" :shock:
Thanks,
Ted

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri May 22, 2015 10:59 pm

It ain't gonna happen.

Well, not exactly. Some people have success with using Hyperscribe, but only with fairly simple rhythms, and a lot of cleanup required. You must play with almost robotic rhythm, and even with quantization adjustments, it can still be a mess. And then, you have to deal with the split point: how to tell Finale if you are using the right hand or the left.

Sit down at the keyboard, play, and have the sheet music come out? No.

Spend your time learning Simple or Speedy entry. You will be a lot more productive.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

eblevine
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by eblevine » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:17 pm

I just read your note, and I see you are talking about the same issue I am considering.

If a good pianist sits down and plays on a good MIDI keyboard a fairly "pianistic" composition (not Liszt, but not simple either), I realize that you are not just going to get a transcribed chart. My question is: with careful setting of quantization, beats, etc., can you get a reasonable first draft from which it would make sense to start editing?

When I tried this a few years ago, we just got a mess. It would have been easier to input from scratch than to edit what we got. Perhaps I was not expert enough at the settings. I am not sure.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:41 pm

No, I don't think you will get much of anything useful.

My advice stands: learn note entry with Simple or Speedy.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society