First time using Speedy Entry - Watch out!

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bgoldnyxnet
Finale Version: Printmusic 2011a
Operating System: Windows

Post by bgoldnyxnet » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:31 pm

version: PrintMusic 2011a, Windows

I was going to ask a question, but then I remembered that I'd run into a similar problem some years back. So I'm going to post this as a warning for new users.

The first time you use Speedy Entry in PrintMusic, it defaults to "use MIDI Device for Input". If you start typing note values (e.g., 4 for an eight note), you get rests instead of notes. Before using your computer's QWERTY keyboard for Speedy Entry, remember to turn that option off.

I'm posting this because I just got bitten by it for (I think) the third time. Once when I first started using PM, once when I upgraded from Win2K to WinXP (and had to upgrade from PM2001 to PM2011), and now after I "upgraded" to Win7.

Just something to keep in mind. Most people don't change their OS very often, so it's easy to forget this detail, and if you're a brand-new user it's going to bite you. (Unless, of course, you start out setting music using a _music_ keyboard instead of a _computer_ keyboard. Then, the default setting is perfect for you.)