Note heads disappear

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Stevebassist
Finale Version: PM 2014.5,OS 10.11.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by Stevebassist » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:24 am

Hello,

I just upgraded to 2014.5 for Printmusic, using OS 10.11.2. When I open any file that previously worked on 2014 or any new file opened with 2014.5, all of the note heads are missing (the stems are visible). It plays back just fine.

Thanks,

Steve
PrintMusic 2014.5, OS 10.11.2

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:39 am

Noteheads are font characters.

From your description the problem sounds like a font issue.

Please specify the steps you've already taken, so that we can rule out things.

Have you e. g. tried a re-install of the music fonts?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

trev1234k
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by trev1234k » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:25 pm

Yeah, it was doing my head in making a drum chart that I couldn't change the noteheads just to slashes (sometimes it's better to have 'hits' than meticulously restrict yourself to one version for hits that you keep returning to and want to encourage variation) without them disappearing.

It's so rare for me to use Finale without at some (or several) points screaming - what genius programmer thought, "Yeah, that's most likely thing a user wants when changing noteheads - for them to disappear altogether." I have a constantly expanding doc of how to deal with the endless Finale inanities. Now I've added these two paragraphs:
In drum chart changing to slash notation will make the notehead disappear altogether unless
 For the whole chart you toggle staff, then staff/edit staff attributes/alternate notation/settings/rhythmic notation/other layers – tick show ‘notes
 If just wanting to do part of a chart (or even part of a bar), highlight the notes (click and drag starting below and after last note, drag backwards) toggle staff, then right-click selection – pick desired note head.