Some Finale Questions

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Foozdood77
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by Foozdood77 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:21 pm

I've been using Finale for a while now and have developed a couple questions whose answers I for some reason cannot find in the help manual or online.

1.a. I use Finale for composition most often, so I prefer the playback to be just as like an actual performance as possible. Because of this, I have encountered a bit of an issue with chord playback. So lets say I have a measure of 4 quarter-notes in rhythmic notation, and over the first is a C chord. I would want that C chord to then be played in the designated rhythm until another chord is specified. In this case, the chord would be played back 4 times on each note. Then in the next measure, if there isn't a new chord there, for it to continue in that manner until the chord changes. Right now Finale just plays the chord and sustains it for a measure not matter what is on the staff. Is this possible? If not, is there and unorthodox way to make it sound like that is happening while still maintaining a clean chord/rhythm look?
1.b. Also, is it possible to change the inversion of the chord being played back while still maintaining the root note? That way an F chord isn't completely a fourth higher than a C?

2. How do I add a tremolo between two notes? I've seen it before so I know it is possible, but from what I've researched it seems to require a more upgraded version of Finale than what I have. If that's the case, what does that mean and how do I get this upgraded version?

3. How do I change the musical font of a piece to be that of the common jazz font? It seems like all I can do is change text fonts. Does it require third party intervention? If so how do I get the font and make it usable in finale?

4. Is it possible to change the instrumental playback of a staff mid-piece? For example, if I have a default percussion section with snare, bass drum, cymbals etc. and I want a marimba to have a part on that staff for like 3-4 measures in the middle of the song, and I want it played back as a marimba, is that possible? If it's not possible to have it play back that way, is it at least possible to make it look like it?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I could get these answered it would be very much appreciated. They've been bothering me for a while now. Thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:19 pm

Welcome to the forum!

According to your forum signature you are using PrintMusic, not the “full Finale”.
PrintMusic is a smaller version of the full program.
This means that PrintMusic uses same the file format as the full program, but PrintMusic does not have access to all the features of the full program.
An example:
In the “full Finale” you have support for plug-ins, small programs that can do complex tasks for you, like
e. g. creating mid-measure repeats, or adding score system dividers.
PrintMusic does not support plug-ins.

Your forum signature tells that you have PrintMusic 2011.
If you somehow can get a copy of Finale 2011, then you can use Finale 2011 to modify your PrintMusic 2011 documents.
You can also use Finale 2012 to modify your 2011 documents, but then you can no longer open the documents in 2011 - the .mus file format is not downwards compatible.

Disclaimer:
I know the "full Finale”, but I do not know PrintMusic.
Foozdood77 wrote:…1.a. I use Finale for composition most often, so I prefer the playback to be just as like an actual performance as possible. Because of this, I have encountered a bit of an issue with chord playback. So lets say I have a measure of 4 quarter-notes in rhythmic notation, and over the first is a C chord. I would want that C chord to then be played in the designated rhythm until another chord is specified. In this case, the chord would be played back 4 times on each note. Then in the next measure, if there isn't a new chord there, for it to continue in that manner until the chord changes. Right now Finale just plays the chord and sustains it for a measure not matter what is on the staff. Is this possible? If not, is there and unorthodox way to make it sound like that is happening while still maintaining a clean chord/rhythm look?
1.b. Also, is it possible to change the inversion of the chord being played back while still maintaining the root note? That way an F chord isn't completely a fourth higher than a C?…
In the “full Finale” the Chord Tool has the very same limitations:
You do not get any “rhythmization” of the chord symbols, and the chord voicing is lousy.
In the “full Finale” you can disable Chord Playback via the Chord menu, and enter chord playback notes (with good voicing) in a hidden layer.

Foozdood77 wrote:…2. How do I add a tremolo between two notes? I've seen it before so I know it is possible, but from what I've researched it seems to require a more upgraded version of Finale than what I have. If that's the case, what does that mean and how do I get this upgraded version?…
In the “full Finale” there is a Special Tools Tool with many advanced sub-tools, making it possible to create tremolos.
Also, the “full Finale” comes with a plug-in that can create the tremolo for you - with both layout and playback.

Foozdood77 wrote:…3. How do I change the musical font of a piece to be that of the common jazz font? It seems like all I can do is change text fonts. Does it require third party intervention? If so how do I get the font and make it usable in finale?…
Again, this is a feature of the “full Finale” (changing a document to another music font).
An easier solution is to begin a new document from the Jazz Font template (where everything is already set up with the Jazz Font), and enter everything there.
By The Way:
If you like the “manuscript” look, consider using the Broadway Copyist font which might be a little easier to read than the Jazz font.

Foozdood77 wrote:…4. Is it possible to change the instrumental playback of a staff mid-piece? For example, if I have a default percussion section with snare, bass drum, cymbals etc. and I want a marimba to have a part on that staff for like 3-4 measures in the middle of the song, and I want it played back as a marimba, is that possible? If it's not possible to have it play back that way, is it at least possible to make it look like it?…
It is possible in the “full Finale”.
By The Way:
It is much easier to change instrument if you upgrade.
One of the new features that was introduced with Finale 2012, is the utility Change Instrument.
The utility handles both layout and playback.
You can change instrument with Finale 2011, but 2011 does not have the Change Instrument utility, so an instrument change requires a lot of “manual” work.

If you upgrade to the 2014 version, you also get a completely new file format - the .musx format - which is downwards compatible, so that 2014 can open .musx documents created in later versions.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Foozdood77
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by Foozdood77 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:51 am

Okay great. It seems like the upgraded Finale that I was referring to was actually Full Finale, so maybe I will look into getting that and most of my problems may be solved. I suppose there is only so much you can do with PrintMusic. Anyways thank you so much for the help!