Extra rests

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bbvmusic

Post by bbvmusic » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:36 pm

How do you get rid of extra rests appearing in the process of editing? I've tried everything. These appear when I edit a triplet's parameters (change its value). See attached graphic.

Thanks,
Cathy
Attachments
finale-problem.jpg
This is a snapshot of a couple measures with this problem.
finale-problem.jpg (6.59 KiB) Viewed 10848 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:22 am

When you are in the Simple Entry Tool, you can select a note by holding down a modifier key while clicking the note.
The modifier key you should hold down, is Ctrl in Windows, Option in Mac.

When a note is selected, you can move the selection to the next entry by hitting the RightArrow key.

When the "extra rest" is selected, you can delete it with the delete key.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

bbvmusic

Post by bbvmusic » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:31 am

Thanks for the reply, and I tried what you suggested. It works quite nicely on normal notes and rests (which I hadn't known about), so I'm glad I asked. But it didn't get rid of my rest.

This particular rest was generated spontaneously as a result of editing the triplet immediately to its left. I had originally assigned a value of 1 quarter note to the triplet, and had to go back and correct it to two. It is then that the extra rest appeared, leaving each measure with its full complement of four beats with an extra rest "stuck" to the bar following the triplet. I did re-do the measures, though, assigned the proper triplet value from the start, and that seemed to clear up the problem.

It seems to me that the triplet editing is a bit tenuous. Best to get it done right the first time.

Cathy

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:51 pm

Peter's method has always worked for me. Can you post the file, so we can take a look at it?

TWW
Finale Version: 26.1 PC
Operating System: Windows

Post by TWW » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Another way (in Windows, at least) to get to that rest in Simple Entry would be

(1) Pick a half note from the simple entry pick list. 6 on the Numeric pad works too. 6 above the T and Y keys does not work, as it adds a harmony interval.

(2) superimpose the cursor (which will look like a dim half note) over the half note that is in its proper place to the left of the triplet.

(3) click -- No double, no right, no Alt, no Ctrl, no nothin'. Standard left-click -- on the half note.

This should turn that half note purple, indicating that it is selected.

(4) use right arrow key to move the selection point, object-by-object, to the offending quarter rest.

(5) press the delete key on your editing cluster (presuming a "standard" AT-style keyboard).
-Tom Williams
Finale 26.1, Finale 2012

bbvmusic

Post by bbvmusic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks, Tom...your method works!

Although I am unable to select it directly and delete, I am able to select notes to the left of it and arrow over to it and delete...strange, but it works!

I really have a lot to learn about this program! I'm sure I could be doing things much more efficiently.

Cathy

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Cathy,
One of the best things you could do is to stop using the tuplet tool! Take a look at the article Tuplets With Simple Entry, at http://www.specialmillwork.com/finale_tips.htm

TWW
Finale Version: 26.1 PC
Operating System: Windows

Post by TWW » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:27 pm

Let's call the measure where the half-note and triplets are, "measure 20." So the next one is 21.

The errant rest is considered to be attached to measure 20, although it looks like it is in 21. Selection by mouse apparently only works on objects in the current measure. Since the mouse cursor has to be on measure 21 to get to those rests that are actually part of measure 20, they are unreachable.

Once you select the half note in 20, the arrow keys are unconcerned with measures. They just go to the next object in the current layer.

I don't consider this to be a tuplet bug so much as an insertion bug. If I were to add a couple of quarter notes instead of the triplet, it would still push that quarter rest forward, and I would still have to use the arrow trick to reach it.
-Tom Williams
Finale 26.1, Finale 2012

hugeoid

Post by hugeoid » Thu May 21, 2009 2:19 am

No-one seems to have mentioned that, regardless of the positioning of the rest, it is there because your score is in 4:4 time (see the second measure) and you have only entered 3 quarter-notes of value. Quaver triplets add up to one crotchet not two, and so when you moved on to the next measure the software automatically padded the rest of the measure with rests.

Deleting the rest (or hiding it by highlighting it and pressing "h") is not really going to fix that. The rest will still be "played". I would think what you really wanted to do was use triplet crotchets to fill the second two beats of the measure. It would not be good form to delete/hide a rest that has significance to the reader.
PrintMusic 2004-2008