Not playing the INSTRUMENT that I assigned

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:48 pm

Yes, I imported a Finale freebie in SSTTBB. The sounds that the original produced seem to be piano/keyboard.

So I saved it, copied it, then added six new staves labelled Tpt, Tpt, TBone, TBone, BaritoneBC and BaritoneBC.

[edit; I then copied the original six staves into my NEW six staves].

I "silenced" the original six staves........ but the six NEW staves still produce the keyboard sound, in spite of me asking the new staves so "sound".

I've not learned MIDI stuff yet, but am thinking they have "locked" keyboard voices into the original. What do I have to learn here to get the instrumental sounds I desire?

thx,

LarryR : )
PC; Windows XP
Started NotePad 5/19/10, then
Got PrintMusic this evening; 5/24/10

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Just labelling a staff "Trumpet", does not make it play back as a trumpet. You need to go into the instrument list and assign the staff to the appropriate instrument.
Warren Barnett

Finale 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.01
Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3
Garritan Concert & Marching Band 2
Garritan World Instruments
Garritan Steinway Piano Basic Edition
Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.52

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:19 am

Warren Barnett wrote:Just labelling a staff "Trumpet", does not make it play back as a trumpet. You need to go into the instrument list and assign the staff to the appropriate instrument.
I'm not sure what you mean, or if I explained myself totally; I went into the "Setup Wizard" as I ALWAYS DO [I don't even KNOW another way; I've prob created over 100 documents this way, and they always play the instrument that I choose during this "setup" time. I did the same thing on this too. I created a NEW DOCUMENT, using Setup Wizard, assigned the staves to the names that I previously mentioned, and then COPIED THEIR staves onto mine.

Does that change anything? or does your response still stand? this has never happened to me before, as again, I've done similar things.

To clarify, I didn't just take THEIR staves and "rename" them, I started from scratch with the Setup Wizard..............

thx,

LarryR : )
PC; Windows XP
Started NotePad 5/19/10, then
Got PrintMusic this evening; 5/24/10

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Larry,
Did the new instruments get different playback channels? Can you post the document that causing problems? Remember that you have to ZIP the file to upload it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society