Passing from PC to MAC Finale

Discuss Finale Songwriter here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

NicoQuena
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by NicoQuena » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Well... first of all im talking from Argentina, so my english may fail! Correct me if that happens!

I finaly got my MAC (macbookpro i5) so i can improve the quality of my working time (ergo my life)... I write and work a lot in the computer and i was seek of Windows issues! So i feel like an old writer in a new machine! Reeally newbie on Mac topics... There i go:

- Im using Finale 2014.5 -

A: Some listed shortcuts aren´t working as listed! I cant´t find the way to SHARP or FLAT mi notes by pressin "i+alt" or "i" as listed in the simple tools...

B: In windows i could use the ALT key to acces the upper bar (and then combinate shortucts) ... like if pressef "Alt" and then "o", this would open the "Document" panel from the upper bar, and then i would press "i" and this was a shortcut to "Display in concert pitch". Is there any way to do this in mac? (not just the DCP, i mean to acces the upper bar)

C: Again in Windows, when i opened the Edit Filter i just needed to press the assigned letter for any comand and it would respond. Like if i just wanted to filter the Chord simbols i would press "N" meaning "None" (and that would unmarc all the items) and then "F" that was the shortcut for "Fretbords and chords"

Sorry to bother, guys... i feel kinda stupid. Thanks!

EDIT:
(Sorry i started working and rememberd something else!)

When i do a simple play (by pressing the bar), finale doesn´t show a bar that follows the notes or even follow the song! Is this tratable? Thnks again!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You've posted on the NotePad forum, but since you said 2014.5, I'll assume you have the full Finale.

My first suggestion is that you get a USB numberpad. Note entry on a laptop is much easier if you have one.

Are you using Simple Entry? Have you selected the Laptop Shortcut set? Are you using a US keyboard?

If you open the playback controls (click on the triangle on the left) you should see a checkbox for Scrolling Playback.

Many commands and shortcuts are different on a Mac than on a PC. Take your time, and you will get it!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:19 pm

NicoQuena wrote:…Some listed shortcuts aren´t working as listed! I cant´t find the way to SHARP or FLAT mi notes by pressin "i+alt" or "i" as listed in the simple tools…
Mac OS X allows you to choose various keyboard layouts - for easier typing in various languages.
I an from Danmark, and I usually choose a Danish keyboard layout - for easily typing danish lyrics.

Your words “from Argentina” make me suspect that you are not using the American keyboard layout.
Finale is developed/designed for the American keyboard layout.
My first guess would be that your keyboard could be the culprit.
You could go to the Mac OS X control panel for Keyboard, and switch to American keyboard layout.
Have you tried that?

NicoQuena wrote:…In windows i could use the ALT key to acces the upper bar (and then combinate shortucts) ... like if pressef "Alt" and then "o", this would open the "Document" panel from the upper bar, and then i would press "i" and this was a shortcut to "Display in concert pitch". Is there any way to do this in mac? (not just the DCP, i mean to acces the upper bar)

C: Again in Windows, when i opened the Edit Filter i just needed to press the assigned letter for any comand and it would respond. Like if i just wanted to filter the Chord simbols i would press "N" meaning "None" (and that would unmarc all the items) and then "F" that was the shortcut for "Fretbords and chords"…
Mac OS X does not automatically assign keyboard shortcuts to all menu items and dialog box items.

1) Many of Finale’s menu items have a programmed keyboard shortcut which is listed next to the menu item.
An example:
In my own copy of 2014.5 I can pull down the Edit menu, and see the item Undo, with its shortcut Command-Z listed next to the word Undo.
Other menu items do not have a programmed shortcut, e. g. Document menu > Show Active Layer Only.
With the Mac OS X control panel for Keyboard you can program a shortcut for a such “shortcut-less” menu item.
It is important that you spell the menu item correctly in the control panel - with UPPERCASE LETTERS and lowercase letters exactly as in the menu.
The new shortcut will not work unless you spell the menu item correctly.
A shortcut for Show Active Layer Only will not work if you e. g. spell “show active layer only” (in all lowercase letters).

2) The control panel Keyboard does not have a similar option for programming direct shortcuts in dialog boxes (sorry!).
However, with the Tab key you can cycle through the fields in a dialog box.
You can choose whether the Tab key should cycle through all the dialog’s control options, or only through text fields and lists.

NicoQuena wrote:…When i do a simple play (by pressing the bar), finale doesn´t show a bar that follows the notes or even follow the song! Is this tratable?…
Make sure that the Playback Controls window is shown.
You can select Playback Controls from the Window menu.

As Mike said, you can expand the Playback Controls window by clicking the little triangle.
I think that you in the Windows version expand the Playback Controls by clicking a Speaker icon.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

NicoQuena
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by NicoQuena » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:55 pm

Ok Guys! thanks a lot for taking the time to reply! i`l be trying theses answers this days... You are awesome ;) !!

EDIT: Hey Peter! I have my mac keyboard set on latin american spanish!
The new shortcut will not work unless you spell the menu item correctly.
hahahhaa these seems to be a MAYOR help jajaja

Raybird
Finale Version: 27.3.0.160

Post by Raybird » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 am

Greetings... is there any way of establishing this shortcut on a Mac (10.13.1) running Finale 25 ?

Show active layer only : SHIFT+ALT+S — which does not function.

Many thanks.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 am

Raybird wrote:Greetings... is there any way of establishing this shortcut on a Mac (10.13.1) running Finale 25 ?

Show active layer only : SHIFT+ALT+S — which does not function.
You can set up a shortcut of your choice in System>Keyboard>App Shortcuts (see screenshot), taking care that it is not already assigned to something else.

Interestingly, in my screenshot these are shown as having been made for F 2014.5. However, they are all still there for F 25.5 and did not have to be recreated for that application, but were automatically transferred when I up-graded.

PS Why is this query in the Finale Songwriter section?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 11.17.45.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 11.17.45.png (162.39 KiB) Viewed 19257 times
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

Raybird

Post by Raybird » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Thank you for reminding me that it is possible to set up a keyboard shortcut in System Prefs.
I have just tried to set it up but combined with the fn key, can only type capital letters, and then fail to make it work in Finale.

I used this platform having found a similar question to mine.

Strange that the Finale shortcut does not work.

Thank you for your interest !

miker

Post by miker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Like David, I have set up a number of shortcuts in the App Shortcuts section.
Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 8.20.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 8.20.44 AM.png (76.71 KiB) Viewed 19240 times
It's in this section, because every time I try to move a thread, I screw it up!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

Raybird

Post by Raybird » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Thank you... I have finally twigged... you can only use the top row for these shortcuts ... from F1 to F12...

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Raybird wrote:Thank you... I have finally twigged... you can only use the top row for these shortcuts ... from F1 to F12...
No! Mine are various key combinations, as in my screenshot, none involving the F1–12 keys.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

miker

Post by miker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:05 pm

What David said. As you can see, he has used combinations of Alt, Cmd, and Ctrl keys with letter keys; I have used the F keys and occasional modifiers and letter keys. It’s all a matter of what you prefer, how many shortcuts you can remember, and how your workflow goes.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

Raybird

Post by Raybird » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:03 am

Curiouser and curiouser...

I have just been playing around with the keys.. my system prefs only allows me to type F keys or, using the fn key, shift with any key.

:?:

miker

Post by miker » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:13 pm

For shortcuts, I think the function keys have to be used alone, not with modifiers. That's how mine are set up.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura