Passages in Finale?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

keeps_gettin_better

Post by keeps_gettin_better » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi everyone. I don't know how I can write a series of notes as a passage in Finale. By passage I mean the second line of the score I've attached.

I know that I can use hidden time signature and then resize the notes, but this is only true if I use 32nd notes. If for example I want to have a passage of 8ths, in playback they will be played as eighths, not as fast as a passage should be played. Any ideas? Or plug-ins?
Attachments
passage.jpg
The second line is a passage.

(excerpt from liszt's hungarian rhapsody no 2)
passage.jpg (79.18 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
Finale 2009b.r3, Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo 6420, 1 GB RAM

peterqd
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by peterqd » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Hello! That's quite a notational challenge! But nothing is impossible if you go the extra mile. I'm not clear whether you want the notation to look right or the playback to sound right, or both maybe?

My first inclination would be to treat it as a Cadenza. There are one or two ways to accomplish those. Look up Cadenza in the manual.

EDIT: I see you posted the same question in the other forum. Why don't you try the advice you were given there?

keeps_gettin_better

Post by keeps_gettin_better » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks for the "cadenza" advice. Actually I wanted the playback to sound right, but now that the notation is right, I think I can overlook the playback! :wink: But still I don't mind knowing how to correct the playback as well! Any suggestions for this problem?
Finale 2009b.r3, Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo 6420, 1 GB RAM