Adjust stem size and position

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

iFry

Post by iFry » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:29 pm

Hello everybody,

I'd like to add some Guitar rhythm slashes above the score, but I'm having a problem... When I change the noteheads in slashes they just don't "match" with the stems and they look like the pic attached.

Is there any way to adjust the size of the stems starting from the bottom?
I'm using Finale 2009 on Windows Vista.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Stems.JPG
Stems.JPG (15.17 KiB) Viewed 6601 times

peterqd
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by peterqd » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:16 pm

You could try changing the Use Stem Connections setting in Document Options > Stems, I'm not sure if that will work.

But the correct and easiest way to change the noteheads to slashes is with the Staff Tool, highlight the measures where you want the slash noteheads, then go to Staff menu > Apply Staff Style and choose 02 Rhythmic Notation. If you want the slashes above the staff as in your picture, put them on a new staff above the first one and hide everything in the Staff Attributes box. In the Staff drop-down box choose Other... and define a Custom staff with no lines.
Last edited by peterqd on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iFry

Post by iFry » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:31 pm

Thanks peterqd!

But if I choose "02 Rhythmic notation" I will not be able to put the slashes above the score. Because my problem is to keep the score free, in order to use it for another guitar or the voice melody...

peterqd

Post by peterqd » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:34 pm

iFry wrote:Thanks peterqd!

But if I choose "02 Rhythmic notation" I will not be able to put the slashes above the score. Because my problem is to keep the score free, in order to use it for another guitar or the voice melody...
Sorry, Read the edit I made to the first post. You got in first before I changed it! :D

iFry

Post by iFry » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:43 pm

:D timing is everything!! ahahah

Anyways I actually already tried to do as you said, but then I'm not able to turn the stems upward (wich is better). The Stem Direction Tool doesn't affect anything... :(
And plus I can't get rid of the connection line between the staves.... sooobb!!

peterqd

Post by peterqd » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:14 am

iFry wrote::D timing is everything!! ahahah

Anyways I actually already tried to do as you said, but then I'm not able to turn the stems upward (wich is better). The Stem Direction Tool doesn't affect anything... :(
And plus I can't get rid of the connection line between the staves.... sooobb!!
To turn the stems upwards, go to Staff > Define Staff Style and press the Select button next to Alternate Notation. When Rhythmic Notation is selected, check the "Stems Up in Rhythmic Notation" box.

How did you hide the staff and barlines in the image you posted? Can you repeat that? If you've hidden the barlines in the invisible staff then I think the connection lines you can see are Group lines. Try highlighting one of the handles on the group bracket with the Staff tool and deleting it. Try dragging the invisible staff up and down a little too, this sometimes triggers changes ot the settings.

OR.. :-)

If you want to go back to your changed noteheads style, I've found out how to correct the stem connection. Go to Document Options > Stems and press the Stem Connections... button and press the Create button. Choose the font and character you are using for the slashes and then drag the up and down stems in the diagram to connect with the character the way you want.

Here is my attempt with both methods:
Attachments
ScreenHunter_1.gif
ScreenHunter_1.gif (81.41 KiB) Viewed 6559 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:44 am

iFry wrote:...I can't get rid of the connection line between the staves...
Do you mean the left barline at the beginning of the system?

You can make the left barline(s) invisible in the Measure Attributes:

Measure Tool.
Select all measures.
Double-click the selected, and choose "Invisible" for the left barline.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

iFry

Post by iFry » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:22 am

THANK YOU so much guys!

:D :D :D