correcting mistakes

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MELREICHLER

Post by MELREICHLER » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:17 pm

I can not figure out how to correct a mistake. Lets say I've written a piece 4/4 time. I decide that a single measure is not good; I want to replace the four quarter notes in that measure with 5 eighth note triplets, that is with something that will take up a full measure and a partially filled measure; I want to replace one measure in the middle of a piece with two measures one of which is only partially filled. Then, I want to "slide" everything I've written already after that measure back so that it begins, with no rests, just after the newly placed triplet in the partially filled measure. I can't figure out how to do this. I really appreciate your help.

mel reichler
REICHLER

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Do it in steps. I would:

INSERT two measures at the beginning of the piece. Enter your triplets into the first measure, and the first beat of the second. Next DELETE your original first measure. Select everything from m. 3 to the end. Grab it with the mouse, and slide it to the left, until it gets to beat 2, after the first triplet.

Go to the middle of the piece, where you have the second issue. Do the same thing: INSERT, do the new measures, DELETE what needs deleting, and slide.

When you are done, you will have to go to the end of the piece, and erase any leftover notes from when you slid them down.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

MELREICHLER

Post by MELREICHLER » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Miker:

Thanks very much. I'll give it a try tonight.

thanks again,
mel r
REICHLER

peterqd
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by peterqd » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Mel, there's a simpler way if you can use Speedy entry - you don't have to delete or insert any measures and Finale will "slide" the music for you. With the Speedy tool selected, first check in Speedy menu and make sure the "Check for extra notes" option is checked. Then click on the measure you want to delete and use the delete key to delete the four quarters. Now enter all 5 triplets (using Ctrl-3). The fifth one will be hidden outside the frame but don't worry. When you've finished entering, hit the zero key to exit the frame and in the panel that pops up about too many notes, select the bottom option "Keep moving notes", and Finale will shift everything after the measure one beat to the right to make space for the 5th triplet.

MELREICHLER

Post by MELREICHLER » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:19 am

Peter:
Thanks very much for your suggestion. It is exactly what I want. I am amazed that more people haven't inquired about correcting mistakes like just adding an eigtth note to a measure in a piece that has been otherwise finished or removing a few notes without having rests inserted which have to be removed in some mysterious way. Correcting these kinds of errors is not discussed in the books I have on finale. I am not a professional musician but it seems to me that making small corrections in a piece after almost all of it has been completed is onerous and a mystery. Your suggestion I think gives me a general purpose solution to this kind of problem. Again thanks for your suggestion.

mel reichler
REICHLER

peterqd

Post by peterqd » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Mel, don't forget there is also an INSERT function in Speedy entry (maybe in Simple entry too, Mike will now). Hit the INSERT key on the keyboard and the Speedy cursor changes shape. Position it on any existing note in a measure and any notes you then enter are placed in front of it without overwriting or deleting.

I always have "Fill with rests" turned off in Speedy options, also "Auto launch" and "Jump to next measure". They're all less than helpful for the way I want to work. Finale does at least give you this option!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Peter,
That doesn't seem to be the case, at least in PrintMusic. Maybe it's a finale-only feature. Or more likely, I'm still doing something wrong in Speedy, since I'm not using a MIDI device for input.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

peterqd

Post by peterqd » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:17 pm

Hello Mike, looks like Insert isn't available in PM, I didn't know that. I just tried it with my demo version and you're right again. It doesn't matter about MIDI device, I hardly ever connect mine. Don't forget - if your keyboard has the Insert key on the zero key in the numpad, you have to turn off Numlock first. That's a real pain, I changed keyboards for this very reason - this one has a separate Ins key next to F12.