where should the Maestro font be living? (Mac)

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lloydH
Finale Version: 2012 Mac
Operating System: Windows

Post by lloydH » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:52 am

Trying to get set up on a different machine running OS X 10.7.5. I have the Maestro font in my /Library/Fonts folder, and when I look in FontBook it tells me the font is enabled. I can use the font in other applications. But Finale and Notepad tell me it's not present and I need to install it. I have run the MakeMusicFonts installer, I have cleared the font cache, I've restarted several times but no luck. The Maestro font appears in the finder as a .suit filetype. Is this correct? I think this is an older file format, but as I say I have executed the latest version of the MakeMusicFonts installer, and the font is still showing up as a .suit. Any hints?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 am

Welcome to the forum!

The Maestro font is a .suit file in my own Library folder as well.
(The file name extension .suit tells that it is a “font suitcase” = a folder for the files belonging to a font family.)
lloydH wrote:…Finale and Notepad tell me it's not present and I need to install it…
What are the exact words in the error message?
Could you attach a screen shot of it?

I suspect that the exact wording might give us a clue.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

lloydH

Post by lloydH » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi Peter,

Finale doesn't give me any error, it just doesn't display files properly (ampersands instead of treble clefs etc.). Finale NotePad does give me the warning, attached. I also attached a screenshot from FontBook to show that yes it is installed. The "live" copy is the suitcase format that MakeMusicFonts installed. The greyed-out one is a .ttf I downloaded but it's currently disabled to avoid the conflict; I've tried it both ways. The path for each is /Library/Fonts.

I do have a lot of fonts installed--over 1000--but I don't think that should be a problem. This is on a MacBook Air (2012) with 8 GB RAM, running 10.7.5.

Thanks for any assistance!
Attachments
yesItIsInstalled.jpg
yesItIsInstalled.jpg (64.57 KiB) Viewed 5576 times
noMaestro.jpg
noMaestro.jpg (18.97 KiB) Viewed 5576 times

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:56 pm

It looks like it's there, twice. What happens if you actually delete the one marked "off"?

Also, remember that you should restart after the changes.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm

1) Font Book can go through the fonts, and check for duplicates (Edit menu).
Have you tried that?

2) Also, it can examine a selected font for problems (File menu).
Have you tried that?

3) If you go to the Macintosh Forum at MakeMusic’s web site, you will see that that forum has a sticky thread about font problems on Mac OS X.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

lloydH

Post by lloydH » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:48 pm

Mike - yes, I've tried deleting either one (or moving them to a quarantined folder) and restarting. And I've asked FontBook to show any problems--it identifies the double installation if both versions are in the Fonts folder and active, and asks if I want it to repair the issue, but the result is the same whether I do it manually or let FontBook do it automatically. (And I've always restarted the machine, and I've also run ClearFontCache multiple times.)

I thought the problem had to do with me having copyied the entire font library from another machine (with a Snow Leopard install), because I use many custom fonts. But I've removed and reinstalled the Maestro font since then, to no avail.

Peter--I'll have a look at the sticky thread about fonts, thanks.

lloydH

Post by lloydH » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:52 pm

One other thing I meant to add: could you search on your computer(s) to see if the Maestro font appears in any of the other places OS X stores fonts, potentially as well as /Library/Fonts ?

lloydH

Post by lloydH » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:10 pm

I looked at the "thread" on the other forum but it's just a quick list of the things I've done so far. I'll try posting there, too.