MORE tempo change discussion/questions

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

hermanding

Post by hermanding » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:40 pm

so, the order of power is tempo tool, expression tool, playback controls.
i was going to ask if one could not give a metronome marking at the creation of the piece and apply the markings as needed oneself - beginning and elsewhere - but finale insisted i supply one right off the bat - so eso es eso - that's that.
next on my mind - i will bet ALL of us change tempo markings at least several times in a piece - i do it lots. for quarter notes - if i defaulted to 120 at the start- and 20 bars later want to slow down to say 90 - i could go to the tempo tool and make it 90, right? BUT, the tool gives me 2 choices only - 90 just for THIS one bar - or 90 from this bar to the END - finál. usually, i will want to change from 90 to 100 to 80 back to original 120 and others as well - and this is normal - for ME at least. at last, the question - can i put in a tempo expression with the expression tool that is for a marking change AFTER setting it with tempo tool - and have it become what i just changed it to - or is tempo tool going to say - sorry, i'm the big kahuna here and i now decide the speed?
peter, i know you gotta have some thoughts on this. and everyone - sound off, please :wink:
ding

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:02 pm

No need to fight with the Tempo Tool for that.

You can use the Expression Tool to insert tempo changes whereever you need them.
In the dialog box Expression Selection you can duplicate an existing tempo expression, and then edit the expression's playback effect (and layout).

And you don't have to have a tempo expression at the beginning of the piece.
It's true that the Document Setup Wizard insists on creating a tempo marking, but you can delete that tempo marking immediately.

And you can create a new document without going through the Document Setup Wizard.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996