score considerations

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

hermanding

Post by hermanding » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:46 pm

ay, i hope i can be clear --
my work for viola and orquesta will need a reduction of the accompaniment orquestal into a piano part so that - after learning the viola part - the violist will not need to hire the concertgebeouw orquesta to practice with.
so, i wrote the piano reduction even before doing the scoring. should i put it in with the rest of the instruments? if so, then, do i print just the viola part and the piano reduction to provide the viola with the orquestal aproximación of the score. and, if so, when i print the TRUE score - which should not include the piano part - do i not select the piano in some manner for printing?
as for playback controls, i keep the piano part on 'm', i suppose?
how do you guys handle this type of situation (orquesta y soloist)?
i am attentive to ALL suggestions :) :)
ding

samstokes

Post by samstokes » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:20 pm

The piano reduction part is not normally included in a full score since it is not actually intended for the full performance.

Therefore, you could have two Finale files, one with the full score, and another with just the soloist and piano reduction.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Samuel Stokes - Playwright, Composer, Pianist
http://stokesmusic.tripod.com

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:52 pm

If you are using Finale 2007, you can have everything in one document, and use the feature "Linked Parts" to create two special "parts":

1. A "Full Score" part that comprises all parts except the piano part.

2. A "Piano Reduction Score" part that comprises the viola part and the piano part.

When you want to print the full score, don't print the score, but print the part "Full Score" instead.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996