Need help spacing systems or staves

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Brian C

Post by Brian C » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:30 pm

I need help spacing the systems or staves in this arrangement. The objects and ornaments are colliding with each other and I need to space the systems out.

8va is too close to the top margin on the second page (title colliding with 8va). The chord names are colliding with notes. The lower system is nearly colliding with the system above it. etc...

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:03 pm

There are several ways to remove collisions.
It depends on how your score layout is looking (e. g. whether you have optimization in the score), and what you want.
Finale is very powerful with layout options, and I doubt that you have a layout wish, Finale can't fulfill.

Here are some general tips.

If you specify more precisely how your score layout is looking, and what you want, I can give you some more specific suggestions.

For easier layout numbers I suggest that you choose small Measurement Units, e. g. EVPUS or Points or Picas or Spaces (my personal preference is Points).
Depending on your version of Finale, the submenu Measurement Units can be found in different places.
Look in the Options menu, or in the Edit menu.

1. System spacing.
Switch to the Page Layout Tool.
You will switch to Page View if you are not there already, and margins will appear on pages and systems.

Context-click inside the margins of System 2.
In the context menu, choose "Edit Margins...".
The dialog box Edit System Margins appears.

In this dialog box you can control the system margins by typing numbers in the text fields.
Finale by default doesn't use the same system margins in all the systems:
System 1 has different margins than the other systems.
In order to stick with Finale's default I suggest that you at first set the System Range to
"Change System: 2 Thru 999" (don't include System 1).

It sounds like you have general system collisions, so I suggest that you increase the Top Margin on the systems "2 Thru 999".

There are other ways to do this (you can e. g. drag systems manually - that's rather unprecise).
I think that you can get a good understanding of, how Finale's Page Layout works, by experimenting with the dialog box Edit System Margins.

2. Staff spacing.
Switch to the Staff Tool.
Handles appear on the staves.

Similar to controlling systems by numbers you can also control staf spacing by numbers.
It's done here:
Staff menu > Staff Usage...

(Similar to dragging systems manually you can also drag staves manually - that's rather unprecise)

This is just to get you started.
Come back here when you have more specific layout wishes.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Brian C

Post by Brian C » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:17 pm

thanks. I forgot to mention Finale 2007c

Off topic: Finale keeps crashing and it's mostly due to FinaleVSTHost.dll
someone in another forums said to get FinaleVSTHost.dll version 1.1.0.18, but I dont know where.

Brian C

Post by Brian C » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:41 pm

where can I find FinaleVSTHost.dll version 1.1.0.18? It's making my application crash a lot and it's really getting annoying