More space for lyrics?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jonesrgv
Finale Version: Songwriter 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by jonesrgv » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:27 pm

In my first attempt at using songwriter, I can't identify the answer to my problem in the manual.

The space between the lower notes in the treble clef and the higher notes in the bass clef doesn't leave enough room for the lyrics, which are overlapping e.g. the lines that connect two quavers (eighth notes).

How can I expand this space a little please?
Russell - Songwriter 2012 PC

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Using the staff tool, you can drag the bass clef down.

Select the staff tool. A handle will appear at the left end of each staff. Click and hold on the handle, and drag it down. To do all systems at one, first click just to the left of the staff at the first measure, to select the staff all the way through. Then, dragging the handle will move all of the systems, together.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

jonesrgv

Post by jonesrgv » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Thank you Miker, for your quick reply.

I had tried your suggestion but still can't make it work. The blue handle (?) extends downwards but the staff itself is unchanged.

I must be doing something wrong but don't know what!

jonesrgv

Post by jonesrgv » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:33 pm

OK, I've managed to move the bass clef down. I suppose I can move the lyrics onto a second verse line to disentangle them from the notes in the treble clef.
Any better suggestions gratefully received.

miker

Post by miker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Move the lyric line by grabbing the triangles at the left (the lyric tool must be selected.) The near left moves the lyrics in that system. The far left moves all of them.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

sschimel
Finale Version: Finale 2017.3

Post by sschimel » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:44 pm

I'm having a similar problem. In scroll view, I've dragged the bass clef down to make more room for the lyrics. I've then used the Lyrics Window to move the lyrics down so they don't crash with beams and notes. But when I switch to page view, everything looks horrible. And I'm in Finale 2014 ans Windows 8.1.
"Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast" William Congreve, in The Mourning Bride, 1697

sschimel
Finale Version: Finale 2017.3

Post by sschimel » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:53 pm

Also, I just discovered that when I'm in scroll view and use the staff tool to drag a staff down, the staff moves throughout the piece. However, when I switch to page view, the staff only moves on one system so every staff that needs to be moved has to be done separately. Also, even when you move the whole staff in scroll view, it doesn't reflect that change in any view.
"Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast" William Congreve, in The Mourning Bride, 1697

miker

Post by miker » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:41 pm

In page view, if you select the entire staff, dragging one down will move them all.

If you respace the staves in Scroll view, as you have found, you lose that spacing when you go back to Page view. BUT, while you are in page view, switch to the Staff Tool, and go to Staff menu>Respace Staves... and you will see a radio button for Set to Scroll View Spacing. (That's only active in Page View.)

That will bring your scroll view spacing into page view.
Attachments
scroll_view.png
scroll_view.png (43.78 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura