Linked Parts; to combine 2 staves; no brackets in score

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:33 am

I guess I'm a beginner, been using Finale 2012 for one day now. I think I do pretty well with PrintMusic2010 so that's my background.

So I'm trying to learn the uniqueness of "Linked Parts"............. when I did PrintMusic, I put a bracket between a Trombone and a Euphonium, and then extract parts. I got a single line Trombone and a single line Euphonium............ AND I'd get a two stave bass clef with bracket showing BOTH lines, so players could alternate staves at certain sections.

Does Finale2012 require a bracket between these two single staves in the score to get the same end result using Linked Parts?

I'm getting the single line staves for each, but can't find out how to put them together.

Of course I'm worried you'll say it needs the bracket, and ell, I know how to do that, but .... do I have to go back and modify the master score to get it?

Step by step instructions pls?

OK, while I'm here, what IS the purpose of "Extracted Parts" now? Will Linked Parts do everything I need now? What can create the need for an extracted part?

thx,

LarryR
PC; Windows XP
Started NotePad 5/19/10, then
Got PrintMusic this evening; 5/24/10

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:02 am

OK, so I went back and added brackets to the above mentioned Trombone and Euphonium, and for learning, and need, I added brackets to three trumpets thusly:

One bracket to combine Trumpet 1 and 2
One bracket to combine Trumpet 2 and 3
One bracket to combine all three trumpets.

This is the way I always did it in PrintMusic2010

So now I go to Documents and Manage Parts. All it presents to me are the 13 individual staves that I have in the score. I see no "combinations" of instruments.

I'm sure I'm missing something, so what is the next step that I'm missing?

thx,

LarryR
PC; Windows XP

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:44 am

1) In the dialog box "Manage Parts" the right column shows the instruments/groups that Finale guesses are instruments/groups, based on these criteria:
- All staves with a Full Name are considered to be "single staff instruments"
- A staff group is considered to be a multi-staff instrument/multi-staff group if none of the staves in the group have a Full Name

2) If you delete the Full Name for the Trumpet staves, the Trumpet staff groups will show up in "Manage Parts", in the right column.

3) You can get the Full Name back by adding it with a custom staff style.
A staff style does not "confuse" the dialog box "Manage Parts".

4) Even if staves have a Full Name, and thus display as individual instruments in Manage Parts, you can still add the staves to a multi-staff part.
And you can add staff groups in parts, by editing the parts.

I hope that this is clear?
If not, ask again.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:07 am

OK, no time to STUDY it right now, but I'm beginning to think that it's important that I've got to learn to "set it up", knowing what I'll want when I go to Link Parts for my pdf conversions?

OK, knowing my experiences in PrintMusic2010, and the example I gave you above [three Trumpets and TBone and Euphonium],

So as soon as I set up all my staves using Finale2012 provided "names" for the instruments, set up brackets based on the combinations I will want to print, then I'm getting the idea I will be adding some more steps/naming/grouping etc beyond what I've already done to that point?

And that's where I'm stuck presently.... I'm just not "getting" all the jargon you use yet, but I will study it.... it's more like right now I need the "recipe" steps after what I've already stated?

Thanks for you quick response...

LarryR
PC; Windows XP

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:35 pm

LariRudi wrote:…I'm getting the idea I will be adding some more steps/naming/grouping etc beyond what I've already done to that point?…
This one of the crucial points.
You can always modify your document later:

- delete a Full Name from a staff that has a Full name
- add a Full name to a staff that hasn't a Full Name
This is done in the ScoreManager (in Finale 2012).

- add a staff group, and specify what staves you want in the group
- remove a staff group
This is done via
Staff menu > Groups and Brackets > …

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:43 pm

No hurry, I won't be able to work on this until late Sun eve, but here is what strikes me when I read it.

What is a "full name"? is it like "Trumpet 2 in Bb?", or "Horn in F"?

Then if it has one, remove it........... if it doesn't have on, ADD it??????????? so I'm not clear on if it "needs" the full name, or it wants it "gone"?

[Edit; I should say that I ALWAYS start with the "Setup Wizard" and choose all instruments at that point [try to ha]. So names to staves are done by Finale 2012 and I'm always "satisfied" with that, but is that what you're saying I need to "change"? or eliminate?

In other words, the action you're suggesting is done WHEN? Any time during my score entries? when score is done, or at Setup Wizard, or immediately after Setup Wizard, or???? end of edit].

Sorry, like I said, the jargon [only because I'm not clear yet on the terms that are so familiar to you folks] is what slows me down.... yes, I'll get to know it, just takes a while.

And I DO use the User Help on line, but I can never quite find the "exact" term......

Thanks,

LarryR
PC; Windows XP

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:51 am

LariRudi wrote:…What is a "full name"? is it like "Trumpet 2 in Bb?", or "Horn in F"?

Then if it has one, remove it........... if it doesn't have on, ADD it??????????? so I'm not clear on if it "needs" the full name, or it wants it "gone"?…
The terms "Full Name" and "Abbreviated Name" are "Finale-speak".

"Full Name" means the name used in the first system.
"Abbreviated Name" means the name used in all the other systems.

You can see both the Full name and the Abbreviated Name in the ScoreManager, in the chiclet "Instrument List".
If you have not yet seen the ScoreManager, then I strongly recommend that you take a good look at it.

There is no such thing as {it 'needs' the full name}.
Nor that {it wants it 'gone'}.

The name can be any name you want.

It is entirely up to you.

LariRudi wrote:…In other words, the action you're suggesting is done WHEN? Any time during my score entries? when score is done, or at Setup Wizard, or immediately after Setup Wizard, or???? end of edit…
You can do it anytime.

It is entirely up to you.

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:40 pm

So here it is, 4/15/17, never figured this out yet on Finale 2012, and now I purchased Finale V25........

I've had to depend on PrintMusic2010 for all my work since starting this thread.

Hold my hand??????? OK, so when I go to Setup Wizard, and want Trumpet Bb 1 and Trumpet Bb 2 on a "pair of staves", and then a Trombone and Euphonium on a pair of staves, so I start a score in the usual manner but what are the key things that I must do at this stage?. When I DO extract parts, I do NOT need individual printouts of Trumpet 1, Trumpet 2, Trombone, and Euphonium [4 files NOT NEEDED], but I want to creat TWO files; one for Bb trumpets [showing both parts] and another for the bass clef instruments. I do this so players can "share" and not need to print so many "individual" copies.

Thanks for your patience.

LarryR
PC; Windows XP

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Create a linked part. It will be called Part X (X being a number). Change that part name to Trumpets. In that part, include both trumpet instruments.

If you want to extract parts (not needed, but sometimes desired), extract this new part.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:42 am

zuill wrote:Create a linked part. It will be called Part X (X being a number). Change that part name to Trumpets. In that part, include both trumpet instruments.

If you want to extract parts (not needed, but sometimes desired), extract this new part.

Zuill

Ahhh, there is a clue, you say "[not needed, but sometimes desired]"...... so what is a better? simpler? way to get both trumpets onto the same sheet? Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question........................ in other words, I'm "always" [in PrintMusic2010] creating Tpt 1 and 2 in C, Tpt 1 and 2 in Bb, Trombone 1 and 2, etc etc.... so the quicker I learn this, the more I can benefit and enjoy FinaleV25 [or is it V5??? you know what I mean]. Perhaps I should not use the term "extract parts"???

Oh, and no, I don't want to put both trumpets on the same staff [as in Soprano/Alto hymn style].

thx,

LarryR
PC; Windows XP

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:02 am

Here's a sample. I do this quite frequently.

Zuill
Attachments
Brass Parts Combined in Parts.musx
(87.3 KiB) Downloaded 219 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:59 am

If you extract the parts, it makes a new file; with linked parts, it's all kept in one file, and if you make a change in the score it's automatically changed in the part. You must still create linked parts to extract them. Once extracted, though, any further changes must be done in multiple files.

I would guess most people don't extract anymore (before linked parts, it was the only way). It certain situations it can make it easier to achieve cosmetic differences between score and parts, but I'm guessing you don't need to do that.

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:12 am

OK, so I"m gathering, in a nutshell, that I should start studying "linked parts", and then I'll automatically HAVE the staves I want without having to go through the command of "extract parts"????

If that is correct, then I'll try that with the file that I've already created [a pair of C Trumpets, a pair of Bb Trumpets, and a bass clef having a Trombone and a Euphonium..... and my end product is to have THREE PIECES of music to hand out; ONE sheet for C Trumpets [they'll "see" each other's part], another for the Bb's, and another for the Bass Clef instruments.

I admit I've already tried that, met with some scary warnings, and did not proceed. So I'll make ANOTHER copy of my "precious" file under another name so that I don't "damage" my original, and see what happens. OR MAYBE, you'll say I'm too late, that perhaps I should've done something earlier, like when I set up my file..... so, CAN i use that same file now, and study "linked parts" and accomplish my wishes?

thanks for all your patience and help.

LarryR
PC; Windows XP

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:01 am

If studying my score doesn't show how it can be done, post your file here and we can probably set it up for you.

Zuill

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:59 am

The scary warnings were probably from clicking Documents/Manage Parts/Generate Parts, but you probably don't want that anyway, since that would make one part per instrument. Instead, click New Part, and you can then add the C trumpets, say, to that part, one at a time. Click New Part again for the Bb trumpets, etc. You can then look at and edit the parts from Document/Edit Part.