Hello! Newbie here

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

einmusiker
Finale Version: Mac Finale 12
Operating System: Windows

Post by einmusiker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi. I am new to finale. I have worked with Notefilght for years and am used to the easy UI, but am excited to learn the much more in-depth Finale 12. I am a newbie to finale so even some of the basics are confusing to me… please be gentle :oops:

1. It seems laborious to use the + and - symbols to change frets in tablature, is there a way to just input the number?

2. Why is the tuning wrong in the ukelele tablature?

3. inputing rests has been a real work in progress for me. In Noteflight I can just choose my rest length and click in the measure where I want to place it. Is there a similar method in Finale?

That's just the start of my confusion… I will be back often to ask more questions, thanks for your patience!

einmusiker

Post by einmusiker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Also… when adding a flat (b) symbol to a chord with a seventh it looks like the chord is reading "D with a flat 7" instead of "Dflat dominant 7" Is that normal?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Welcome to the forum.
1. Take a look at the Simple Entry menu. There are TAB specific shortcuts.

2. The uke TAB has been wrong forever. I think a poster on the MakeMusic forum did a corrected TAB. I'll look when I have a chance, to see if i can find it.

3. If you are using Simple Entry, hitting the 0 key on the numberpad will enter a rest.

4. That's how the chords work. Db7 would mean a Db chord, with the flatted 7. If you wanted a Db with a true 7, that would be Dmaj7. At least, that's what i was taught.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

miker

Post by miker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:42 pm

The problem with the Ukulele TAB is that it's upside down. If you enter G-C-E-A in the notation staff, and drag it to the TAB staff, it shows the strings in reverse order, with the G going in on the first string, and the A on the fourth.

If you follow the steps and look at the pictures I've posted, you can turn it over so it's correct.

Open a new document, and with the setup wizard, include the Uke and the Uke TAB staves.

Open the Score Manager, from the Window menu. It will appear as in the picture UKE1. Click on the second staff, which is the TAB. Look in the lower right. It will say Notation Style: Tablature. Click the button next to it (Settings)
UKE1.png
UKE1.png (62.02 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
On the next screen Tablature Staff Attributes, click the button that says Edit Instruments (pic UKE2)
UKE2.png
UKE2.png (61.52 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
(pic UKE3) Fretboard Instrument Definition, notice the pitches for the strings. Write them down, and re-enter them in reverse order (pic UKE4) OK your way back out.
UKE3.png
UKE3.png (55.46 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
UKE4.png
UKE4.png (58.42 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
Back in your score, enter the notes G-C-E-A. Drag the measure to the TAB staff. It should now be correct, as in UKE5.
UKE5.png
UKE5.png (116.15 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
You can erase any notes you've put in, and save the document as a template Then, you will have it correct and ready to go, the next time you want it.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

einmusiker

Post by einmusiker » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:02 pm

miker wrote:Welcome to the forum.
1. Take a look at the Simple Entry menu. There are TAB specific shortcuts.

2. The uke TAB has been wrong forever. I think a poster on the MakeMusic forum did a corrected TAB. I'll look when I have a chance, to see if i can find it.

3. If you are using Simple Entry, hitting the 0 key on the numberpad will enter a rest.

4. That's how the chords work. Db7 would mean a Db chord, with the flatted 7. If you wanted a Db with a true 7, that would be Dmaj7. At least, that's what i was taught.
Thank you! I love this forum already :)

for the flat problem, basically what I'm saying is that instead of the chord I want Db7 (spelled Db, F, Ab, Cb) chord it "looks" to me like it is inputing D(flat7) spelled D, F#, A, C, which is not what I want played. It's more of an aesthetic problem I think

miker

Post by miker » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:32 pm

You can go into the chord suffix editor, and move the 7 horizontally. This will affect ALL of them, as you can see in the attached.
Attachments
chord.png
chord.png (93.2 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura