entering notes without autorearrangement

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

scorn

Post by scorn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:04 am

hi
i have a pretty difficult score to rearrange since it's been written in nuendo which is very uncomfortable when it comes to make a score

just check that:

the score is pretty simple but nuendo complicates the task by creating me tuplets every where it's just weird.. :evil:

so i need to edit notes one at a time and everytime i do that finale rearrange the score automatically
i already checked one feature that is speedy entry tool and then go the the speedy menu and uncheck check beaming
but it's not helping me so far

so do you have an idea for that?

thanks guys

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:39 pm

I must confess to being a bit confused. Did you record the score in Nuendo, and then import a MIDI file into Finale? Are the triplets supposed to be there, or not? What's the time signature of the piece? Can you post a picture of what the score is supposed to look like?

"finale rearrange the score automatically" You can turn off Automatic Update Layout in the Finale preferences>Edit pane

If I misunderstand, I apologize.

Please add the program and version you are using to your signature, in the user control panel.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

scorn

Post by scorn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:23 pm

thanks for the reply
and then import a MIDI file into Finale
actually it's an xml file
and no the tuplets are not supposed to be here but nuendo is making a mess out of it
and there is no way to make a good score in nuendo since it's not a score editor like finale (maybe it's my old version of nuendo that cause the problem : 4.3 actually)

the signature is 4/4

here is a picture of some measure i finally manage to make in finale

it's not really beautiful but it's the most i can do
"finale rearrange the score automatically" You can turn off Automatic Update Layout in the Finale preferences>Edit pane

If I misunderstand,
i tried that but it didn"t change anything
in fact what i mean is when i wanna change the notes surrounded by the red circle

and make eight notes instead ( i'll change the rest after)
finale automatically doesnt" wait that i change the rest : it rearrange the rest of the measure
and i don"t want that
i just want that finale wait and i'll rearrange the rest after

so in the end as soon as i erase one note of the notes in the red circle it does that

and don't apologize you are kind enough to reply for me

thanks for your help

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:46 pm

Using Simple Entry, you can overfill the measure by mousing in the notes that you want, and then erasing the ones that you don't want. You will need to turn off Check For Extra Notes in Simple Entry Options. Would that help? Having triplets in the measure will sometimes complicate things, as well.

And sometimes, if the XML import isn't working well, it's just easier to enter the notes from scratch.

Can you post a picture of what M. 48 is supposed to look like?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

scorn

Post by scorn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:49 am

And sometimes, if the XML import isn't working well, it's just easier to enter the notes from scratch.
i think i'm gonna do that
it's the best way to write notes
on the other hand i'm gonna keep the good notes made by nuendo and rewrite the wrong ones
these softwares have their limitations sometimes and the good old way is sometimes the better

thanks for your help though

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:16 pm

One additional thought :
If you can go back to Nuendo, it is always good to apply a basic quantization there in the first place.
Then export that result to Finale.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

scorn

Post by scorn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:47 am

i tried man i tried and more than once but this software is a pain in the butt
it's definitely not good for writing scores and there is no tutorial for that just a pdf and i don't think you can make a decent score with nuendo

tell me if you know some people who can i'll be glad to hear that but i don't believe it can

maybe i should upgrade to the latest version but i'm broke right now