C6/9 chord

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

pixdrzwi
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by pixdrzwi » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Why the hell when I write C6/9 chord it results with C6/C ?! I changed libraries, and everywhere it works the same. Why can't I put chords the way I do it in iReal Pro? This is the best, fastest and simplest method. Here I struggle all the time with this suffixes which I can't fix without midi keyboard. Is there any way to simplify it without making my own library? Mayby someone did it and I can download the fix and just load it?

at8ax
Finale Version: PC 2014.5, 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by at8ax » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:47 pm

Just guessing that Finale thinks the slash is indicating a bass note (though why it's changing 9 to C is a mystery). Do you have an option for the suffix that doesn't have a slash in it?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:22 am

at8ax is right; Finale is set up to see the / as a bass note. AFAIK, this is a pretty conventional method. However, you can create a 6/9 suffix by using a fraction slash, rather than the standard solidus symbol.

Enter something strange, like C135. Finale will ask you if you want to add it to the library. Say yes, and you will be taken to the chord designer. This is a very tricky tool, until you learn how to deal with it. You use the Next and Previous buttons to advance (or go back) to each character; you can't just enter something like a space from the keyboard; you have to do it by entering a space (or the diagonal slash) from the Symbol tab.

In any case, once you have it, it will be stored in the chord library with a number. Then, when you want to use that suffix, enter the root, a colon, and whatever that number is. For example, C:132. When you move to the next chord, it will enter correctly. Save that library, and load it into any document where you might want that chord suffix.
Attachments
chord.png
chord.png (164.76 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society