1st & 2nd endings possible in Notepad 2012?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dncollins
Finale Version: Notepad 2012 mac
Operating System: Windows

Post by dncollins » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Finale Version: Notepad 2012
Mac: OSX 10.6.8

I can add repeat bars in Notepad, but I'm not able to create 1st & 2nd endings according to instructions I access through the Help menu. I'm able to select the bar(s) in the first ending with the repeat bar tool enabled, but when I right click on the bar to create a 1st ending (as instructed by Help), all I get is a context menu with two options: Help & Delete.

After doing a little research, I discovered that Notepad won't playback repeats, but all I want to do is generate a chart with 1st & 2nd endings.

Can Notepad 2012 do it. If so, how?

I don't know if this is pertinent, but at one time I had Notepad 2008 installed on my mac, though it was gone from the Applications folder when I installed Notepad 2012 ... could there be some old config from 2008 laying around in /Library or ~/Library that's causing a problem for Notepad 2012?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:06 pm

No. Repeats in NP are graphic, only. What you CAN do is to create two files. One, for playback, with the necessary parts simply copied forward, and another with the repeats for printing.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

dncollins

Post by dncollins » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:35 pm

miker wrote:No. Repeats in NP are graphic, only. What you CAN do is to create two files. One, for playback, with the necessary parts simply copied forward, and another with the repeats for printing.
Not sure how I could be clearer miker. I don't care about playback. All I want to do is use the graphical repeat facility for printing. I know that NP provides the ability to create simple opening and ending repeat bars. Certain help text I've read tells how to create 1st and 2nd endings (by right clicking on the repeat bar), but that does not seem to work in my installation of NP ...

Is that because NP doesn't offer it, or am I missing something about how to do it.

I repeat ... I do not care that NP playback doesn't repeat.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:00 am

My apologies. I misread your desires.

No, NotePad only offers forward and backward repeat barlines. For anything else, such as first and second endings, you would have to go (at least) to SongWriter. If you read somewhere that you can do more in NP, that would be a documentation error (not at all uncommon.)

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

dncollins

Post by dncollins » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks for the info.

For anyone who stumbles on this thread with the same question, I finally found the suggested method for creating 1st & 2nd endings in Notepad in the online help for notepad. Basically you use the line drawing and text tools to (along with the repeat bar tool) to render 1st & 2nd endings ... a little cumbersome, but it's not something you have to do very often, so it's not too bad.

On Notepad's menu bar, go to Help/Table of Contents. Then go to the Index and look up Second ending.