How to make a melody sounds lifelike?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

wolfpeter
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by wolfpeter » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:53 pm

If you put the notes of a melody into a finale(2014) score and then listen to it, it sounds mechanically/computer-like –very disappointing. This is mainly because all notes end right before the next note starts –so it all sounds like one legato line.
But a lifelike melody or music piece consist of phrases. When one phrase ends there is a short break –like taking a short breath- before the next phrase starts. All players or vocalist do so. Until now I did not find any possibility or tool to shorten a note a little bit; did I overlook something?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Are you using MIDI, or audio units? Human playback?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

wolfpeter
Finale Version: 2014

Post by wolfpeter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:09 am

Thanks for the quick answer. I use the Garritan instruments, which come togehter with finale2014. The human playback ist set to Standard (because I use the German version "the human playback" should be there the "Wiedergabestilistik" =play style). It's set to "Standard". Until now I did not yet go to the details (hand made setups) of this tool. When browsing the internet I found some remarks about makeing some notes shorter, but did not yet have the time to investigate this way. When using a sequencer (cakewalk) it was of course possible to adjust the "time" of any note by hand -of course a huge and time consuming work, but without any doubt absolutely neceessary to give the sequencer music a realistic musical feeling and reduce this typical machine-like appearance of midi music. Thanks again.

Iker Gonzalez
Finale Version: 2012

Post by Iker Gonzalez » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:22 am

Hello WolfPeter

Now I'm trying to learn how to use the TempoTap with the HyperScribe tool.

It's possible to "record" your tempo playing the pulses in the keyboard. In addition there is a figure with the changes in tempo, but I don't know if this figure can be changed using the mouse or the keyboard.

Best wishes

Iker