I can't find the graphics tool.

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MrBradfordMiller
Finale Version: 2012 Songwriter PC
Operating System: Mac

Post by MrBradfordMiller » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:53 am

I have 2012 fully updated. The instructions say to go to 'page view' and locate it there, but I don't have a page view option, except the one under view that changes the page view from scroll to a vertical scroll. Can someone please help me find this thing, if I even have it? I'm just trying to save files to a readable format so I can send it to another computer (bereft of music programs) for cheaper printing.

I know I could always take a screen shot, but there's got to be an easier way....right?

Much obliged-

Bradford Miller
Mark loves you....probably.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:31 am

Welcome to the forum!

When you say “2012”, I suppose that you mean the 2012 version of the “full Finale”, not one of its smaller siblings (PrintMusic, SongWriter, NotePad), right?

Are you using Windows Finale or Mac OS X Finale?
The tool palettes are a little different in the two versions.
If I recall correctly, the Windows version has the option of showing a palette with only the most used tools, while the other, less used, tools (e. g. the Graphics Tool) are hidden.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:04 pm

Why not just "print" it as a PDF, and send that? That will most likely give you the best result, anyway.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

MrBradfordMiller

Post by MrBradfordMiller » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Ahhhhh, you're right. That's my fault. Ha, I was wondering why this was so cheap. Yes, I have the songwriter edition. Can't quite afford the full deal just yet. Someday.

I would like to save the file as a PDF but my reader hasn't been giving me the option. Do you need more than the acrobat reader to make a file a PDF?

MrBradfordMiller

Post by MrBradfordMiller » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Never mind! I figured it out. Sourceforge has a decent pdf creator. Songwriter won't recognize it through normal saving, but once you get the pdf creator set up and activated and go to your printing options then the pdf creator will appear. You select that, hit 'print' and then it gives you the option of saving the file as a pdf.

If you're only transferring between new, updated windows computers you can also just save the file as an xps document and it will open in and windows computer since the xps reader is a program that comes with the windows OS. Don't even need the pdf really, although I'm going to stick with it just because editing options are nicer, especially if you have teachers who prefer to work in that format and they want your file as is, unprinted.

Thanks again!