Bells for Finale Notepad 2012

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

pokespriter
Finale Version: 2012 PC
Operating System: Mac

Post by pokespriter » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Hey Guys.

I'm german and my english is not that good. I didn't find a german forum, so I came here to ask something.
I'm using Finale Notepad 2012 for the first time, and I was wondering if there is a way to add bells to the music.
The bells which are used in churches. I'd like to make some bell music. But I don't think there are bells in the program. So I wondered, if there is a plugin or other simple way to get bell sounds. Or do I have to buy something?

Please help me,

pokespriter.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think you can add anything to NotePad that isn't already there. Have you looked to see if there are handbells in the general MIDI sounds? I can't find a list of the templates in SongWriter, but you can always download the demo and see if there is a Handbells template.

I know there IS a handbell template (and sounds) in PrintMusic.

(I'm away from my computer, so I can't check for you.)
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Welcome to the forum!

pokespriter wrote:…I'm german and my english is not that good. I didn't find a german forum…
There is a European Finale Forum, with a german sub-forum.

URL to the European Finale Forum (remove the spaces):
finaleforum . superflexible . net

pokespriter wrote:…I'm using Finale Notepad 2012 for the first time, and I was wondering if there is a way to add bells to the music.
The bells which are used in churches. I'd like to make some bell music. But I don't think there are bells in the program…
Layout or playback?
Or both?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:53 pm

I just checked PrintMusic. For handbells, it uses the Celesta. And that instrument is available in Note Pad, as well. So, yes, you can set up a document, change the instrument to celesta in the score manager, and you are good to go, at least, as far as the sound is concerned.

The major consideration is that the PrintMusic Handbell template has a number of expressions and articulations specifically for handbell music. These are not in NotePad or SongWriter, nor can they be brought in.

If you really need to write handbell music, you may have to spend the money for PrintMusic.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society