Changing incorrect chords

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kozureokami
Finale Version: 2014d.v1530
Operating System: Windows

Post by kozureokami » Mon May 25, 2015 3:18 pm

I am new to Finale, using Finale 14d.v1513. Try as I may, I cannot figure out how to alter chord symbols once I have entered them. I would have though just double-clicking on the chord symbol would work but it does not. Either nothing happens or the program superimposes the new chord symbols over the original ones. I'm not talking about changing fonts or styles here--I'm simply talking about changing an F9(13) to a Cm6!

Thanks,
k.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon May 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Welcome to the forum!

The bad news:
You must first delete the wrong chord symbol - F9(13) - and next enter the right chord symbol - Cm6.
You can e. g. switch to the Selection Tool, and double-click the wrong chord symbol.
The double-click will take you to the Chord Tool, with the wrong chord symbol - F9(13) - selected, so that you can delete it by hitting the delete key.
After that you can enter the right chord symbol - Cm6.

The good news:
If you have a programmed metatool for the latter chord symbol - Cm6 - then you can enter the chord symbol Cm6 via the metatool for Cm6:
In this example let us say that the metatool trigger key for the chord symbol Cm6 is the letter K key.
First delete the wrong chord symbol - F9(13).
Then hold down the letter K key, and click where you need the Cm6 symbol.

To program a chord metatool:
While you are in the Chord Tool, hold down Shift and the computer keyboard key you want to program as trigger key for the chord symbol - e. g. the letter K key.
Finale will display the dialog box Chord Definition where you can specify the exact chord symbol, you need.
Define the chord, and click OK.
From now on, to enter Cm6, hold down the letter K key, and click where you need the Cm6 symbol.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

kozureokami
Finale Version: 2014d.v1530
Operating System: Windows

Post by kozureokami » Mon May 25, 2015 10:44 pm

Thank you...this is really helpful.