Pickup Notes Playback

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

EIS
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by EIS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:26 pm

I have 2 - 1/8 pickup notes at the beginning of the piece (see attached file). There is also a repeat to the beginning of the piece. The playback is correct the first time it plays the pickup measure, but the second time it plays the pickup measure, it plays 3 beats instead of one (incorrect). Additionally, I had to change the last measure before the repeat to 2/4 time to play correctly.

There is another pickup measure beginning on the third line, including a repeat to that pickup measure. That pickup measure plays correctly each time through, but I also had to change the last measure in 3/4 time to 2/4 to play correctly.

Now I have a 1/4 time signature displayed before the second pickup measure and two measures with 2/4 time signatures displayed. There should be no time signatures, since the measures are either pickup measures or measures leading to the pickup measures.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you...
Earl
Attachments
Waltz in C 2.zip
(90.34 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Finale 2014.5, Windows 10 and El Capitan

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:53 pm

Don't use the pickup measure option. That puts all of the beats in, and hides the rests. Instead, in the time signature dialogue box, specify the time signature you want, and then click the More Options... button. You will get another panel, where you can tell the program to use another time signature for display.
time sig box.png
time sig box.png (184.96 KiB) Viewed 3031 times
This is in the full finale, only. If you have PrintMusic, you don't have the option.

Take a look at what I've done to your piece. It now plays back, correctly.
Attachments
Waltz in C 2 fixed.zip
(90.91 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

EIS
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by EIS » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:32 pm

Thank you for your reply. Your suggestions worked perfectly.

Earl
Finale 2014.5, Windows 10 and El Capitan