"simple" copy and paste problem

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

daivddd
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by daivddd » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:51 pm

I'm using Finale 2014 on Windows.

I'm having a "simple" problem with copy and paste. I simply want to copy a chord of notes to various other places in the same song using the clipboard. (By "chord" I mean a stack of noteheads on the staff, not a fretboard symbol.) I want to paste it over and replace existing notes. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. I select and copy the chord of notes then highlight the destination which has the same duration but different tone. I've tried selected the minimal amount on one staff was well including the same position on both upper and lower staves. When pasted the notes change duration sometimes adding on notes tied to the previous measure. Sometimes it will paste and attach itself to the following measure. Sometimes not only the duration changes but so does the note value (eg from G to G#). I've fiddles around with the Edit Filter, selecting everything, deselecting everything, selection only notes, and various other combinations. Can anyone suggest how to cure this issue?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:18 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I suspect that your problem is with selecting either the chord, or the destination, duration. This can be tricky.

Lets say that you have a half note, followed by two quarter notes. You want to select the half note. Your selection area has to go from the beginning of the half note, to JUST BEFORE the quarter note. If you only go halfway to the quarter note, you would have copied a dotted quarter, rather than the half. The same is true in the destination staff. If you are overwriting a note, you have to be sure that you select the ENTIRE destination area. Otherwise, you will get partial or misplaced beats.

It takes practice. As you learn, UNDO is your friend!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society