Trouble entering lyrics- lines seem to be connected!

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

OperaSaira
Finale Version: 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by OperaSaira » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:37 pm

Forgive me if this is a simple issue, but I'm (of course) new to Finale 2011 (Windows).

I'm working on an opera score (created by someone else) that has at times piano plus 1,2,3,4, and 5 other voices. I need to adjust some of the lyrics, but when I do, surrounding lyrics change with it.

I've tried:

Taking out all of the lyrics (using the lyrics window) then typing into the score 1.) one line at a time 2.) one page at a time. Neither one of the methods seems to work. For example, when I change two words in the soprano line, on the next page two words change in the baritone line.

Any thoughts?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like the person who created this particular Finale document, made a mess with the lyrics.

What I would do:

1) “print” the Finale document to a PDF file - as a reference.
Also it might be a good idea to save a backup copy of the original Finale document.

2) Clear all lyrics from the document:
Edit menu > Clear Selected Items…

3) Open the Lyrics window, and edit the lyrics there.
To keep things well organized, use multiple Verses, Choruses, Sections so that you can easily find, what you are looking for.

4) From the Lyrics window, put the lyrics into the layout, using Click Assignment.

This may be time consuming, but at least you can get somewhere, once you have the lyrics well organized.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996