music creation issues

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

elfoftides
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by elfoftides » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:06 am

Finale 2014
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

What I am trying to do: create chords that use the same note through octaves. For instance middle c, then the c notes an octave above and below it.

Why I am finding this hard to do: since I don't have a midi I am putting the notes in with my mouse. It isn't clear to me how to do this. First, I think that alphanotes has some kind of bug because it gives the g clef g note as a different note and that can't be right. To my knowledge I have not changed the settings for notes either.

I want to bang in middle c and the 2 C's either octave side and have a chord. By the way if I sound like a musician I am not. 41 year old absolute beginner to music who is reading 10 books; last year I did not know what a note was. So if I am not using correct musical terms that is why; I am trying my best to be clear. There is a "chord" tool in the ribbon - could that help?

Thank you. Just point me in the general direction to the tools that I need and I can work this out.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Welcome to the forum, elfoftides!

1) There is a free maintenance update to Finale 2014.5 - could not hurt to try it, especially since 2014.5 is installed as a separate application, leaving Finale 2014 untouched.
You can switch forth and back between 2014 and 2014.5, and edit the same .musx document.

2) In order to give you the best possible help we need a little more info about your Finale document, like e. g.

* What instrument(s)? (Perhaps guitar?)

* How did you create/set up your Finale document?
Knowing your steps might give us a clue.

3) Your term “chord” is correct.

However, the tool “Chord Tool” has a misleading name.
As a matter of fact, the Chord Tool is a chord symbol tool.
Chord symbol notation is a space saving “stenography” for notating chords without rhythm notation.
For your particular layout problem the Chord Tool is not the solution.

elfoftides wrote:…I think that alphanotes has some kind of bug because it gives the g clef g note as a different note and that can't be right…
4) I think that we need to see a (small) Finale sample document.
Without seeing a Finale document we can only guess.

This forum does not accept attachments with the Finale file name extension.

Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996