Next Release

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tbdbitl
Operating System: Windows

Post by tbdbitl » Fri May 27, 2016 3:15 am

Hi. I am new to the forum, so thanks to all of you in advance that have set up the forum and keep it running. I appreciate it because I know it isn't your "Day" job.

I have been using MuseScore for arrangements that I have made, primarily for Brass Choirs and Concert Band. I am at a point where I think I should upgrade, and my research points to Finale as the place to go. Since I am retired, and on a fixed income, I was somewhat concerned about the price, but it is not a show stopper. I am, however, somewhat reluctant to purchase the 2014.5 release when I see that there is a new version on the horizon. My working life was spent in technical support for computer operating systems, so I appreciate the need for a full 64 bit implementation, as well as the potential it has for improving the product, as well as removing the limits imposed by 32 bit addressing.

Again, because of my background, a also appreciate the time and effort it takes to implement such an upgrade, and I am not looking for an exact date, but am wondering if there is some sort of general target date for the release? In the past have there been any upgrade discounts for current users that would ease the path to upgrade process?

Thanks in advance.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri May 27, 2016 4:12 am

Welcome to the forum.

We generally don't know a release date until they give it to us. In any case, the upgrade price has generally been about $100. So you can get 2014.5 now, and decide whether you want to go for the new program when it appears.

From what I read, unless you are planning on loading up lots of audio, 64 bit doesn't mean much. So I wouldn't consider that a deal maker or a deal breaker. And my general cynicism makes me think that a completely new, rewritten program is liable to be as bug-ridden as the old one. Just different bugs, maybe.

So download the demo. You have a month to play with it, and see if it does what you need.

Good luck!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

at8ax
Finale Version: PC 2014.5, 25

Post by at8ax » Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 pm

Also, the company has been known to be very generous to late adopters. If you have bought a version, and they release a newer version within a couple of months, you can generally upgrade for a nominal cost (or free?).

tbdbitl

Post by tbdbitl » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:58 am

Thanks for the responses. I will take a look at the trial version.

Jerry