Alternate Bass

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

hasjazz
Operating System: Mac

Post by hasjazz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:21 pm

I am trying to type a chord name with a different bass note. I normally just type the chord with a back slash and the the bass note. However, I want to enter the bass as "subtext". But I'm not sure exactly how to do all this. When I bring up the Chord Definition Dialog Box I check the subtext option, but when I click OK, the chord is not correct. I want for instace a EbMaj7/Bb. It's just coming out Eb/Eb. I'm using the triangle for Maj7 so I type Eb:26. What do I need to do.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:55 pm

hasjazz wrote:I am trying to type a chord name with a different bass note. I normally just type the chord with a back slash and the the bass note. However, I want to enter the bass as "subtext". But I'm not sure exactly how to do all this…
Instead of typing the back slash (= /), type the vertical line (= |).
I think the keyboard combination is Shift-Option-9.

hasjazz wrote:…When I bring up the Chord Definition Dialog Box I check the subtext option, but when I click OK, the chord is not correct. I want for instace a EbMaj7/Bb. It's just coming out Eb/Eb. I'm using the triangle for Maj7 so I type Eb:26…
1) Chord suffixes are document specific.
Typing Eb:26 will give different chord suffixes in different documents.

2) I am unable to duplicate your problem.
For me, Finale works correctly, and I get E♭Δ/B♭.

3) To find the culprit we may need to see an actual Finale document.
I suggest that you attach a (small) Finale sample document here.

This forum does not accept attachments with the Finale file name extension.
Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996