tempo changes problem - solved

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Altena
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Altena » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:30 pm

Hello everyone!

I am pretty new in this, so I apologize in advance if my question seems silly for the profis here. But I hope someone can help me. I am working on a longer piano piece with several tempo changes within and here is what happens: I use the expression tool, put the tempo, for example allegro 132, I assign it, and when I want to listen to it on the playback, it works for two quarter notes only, then it goes back to the current playback tempo setting. To more surprise, when I put another tempo change in the middle of the piece, like in a bar 35, it works again, but after the 12 bars it again goes back to the playback default tempo, ignoring the change. I am getting really frustrated about it. Is there some invisible tempo setting that I am not aware of? It doesn't make sense...
Last edited by Altena on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Welcome to the forum!

According to your forum profile you are using Finale 2016.
Where did you get Finale 2016 ?
I have never heard of Finale 2016.
Do you perhaps mean Finale 2014 ? - or Finale 2014.5 ? - or Finale v25 ?
Altena wrote:… Is there some invisible tempo setting that I am not aware of? …
Three things control the tempo in Finale:

Tempo Tool (= the recorded tempo changes)
Expression Tool (= the expression tempo changes)
Playback Controls

And they work in a hierarchical fashion.

The tempo in the Playback Controls is overridden by an Expression that sets a tempo.
This is overridden by the Tempo Tool, which is at the top of the "Tempo Hierarchy".

From your description it sounds like there are some recorded tempo changes in the document.

Try this:
Selection Tool.
Select All.
Edit menu > Clear Selected Items…
In the dialog box Clear Selected Items, de-select everything except Tempo Changes.
Click OK.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Altena

Post by Altena » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi! Thank you a lot for your help. At first, I had Finale Print Music 2014, and in this programm I started the piano piece, then in August I installed Finale, which must be Finale 2014 then (I just assumed the current year, sorry, correcting the profile now).
I did as you said, unfortunately nothing has changed.. exactly the same problem, the playback tempo comes back.

edit: my exact version of Finale is Finale 25.0.0.6858 trial version, I will authorise it by the end of the month.

It seems like the playback tempo is overtaking whatever I do.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Altena wrote:… edit: my exact version of Finale is Finale 25.0.0.6858 trial version, I will authorise it by the end of the month …
When you do that, you should update your forum profile to tell that your Finale version is
Finale v25

I am sorry, but do not (yet) have Finale v25.

Hopefully, a user with Finale v25 will step in here, and help you.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Altena

Post by Altena » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi! Thanks again, I will certainly do that. In the mean time I have found the solution for my tempo problem! It turned out I had to go to the playback tool and set "Human Playback" to "None". My setting was on standard. Now the tempos work! But now the other problem occurred, the playback doesn't notice the pedal anymore. Did I removed some articulation setting during my fight with the tempo?

And edit again! It seems like the "Human Playback" settings were the source of all my problems. After setting it finally to custom, I found all the missing functions like the pedal and so on. This program certainly needs a lot of patience! Thanks again for the replies :)