Troubles with voices and playback

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Mithrandir
Finale Version: Finale v25 DEMO
Operating System: Windows

Post by Mithrandir » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:38 pm

Hello

I am confused about voices, midi channels and layers.
I have one staff and I want have play two Flutes with different dynamics under one staff. I put dynamics for each voice (layer one and two) but all dynamics are affected by layer one. I open dynamic expression for layer two and set playback for layer two, but playback is still for layer one. How to play for each layer own dynamics and crescendos and decrescendos?

I try Demo Finale v25
Thanks.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:02 pm

You would need to put each layer in a separate channel. You can do that in the Score Manager.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Mithrandir

Post by Mithrandir » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:58 am

I did it, but still no dynamic playback for voice 2. Every dynamics play only for voice 1.
Btw. I use midi out to connection with DAW.

Mithrandir

Post by Mithrandir » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:34 pm

I discover there is +2 layers for staff. 4 voices + chords and expression. If I change channel for expression to 2 or another, all dynamics will be play for selected channel. But then I don't understand, why there is option play dynamic for layer 2 if thery are not play. I think it is broken. I spent lot of time how to play dynamics for each channel, but without solution. Documentation say, each layer can have own dynamic which will be playback, but there is no tutorial or documentation how to do it.
I was thinking I'll buy Finale, but without this feature I'll stick with another notation program.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:16 pm

First, to avoid confusion, I would suggest to use the proper terms : there are 4 layers in Finale, and 2 voices per layer.
In your case, using separate layers, each with a separate midi channel (defined via the ScoreManager) is the recommended procedure.
Now, if you have created an expression, right-click on its handle and select "Edit Expression Assignment".
This window pops up, in which the expression can be assigned to show and affect playback in a specific layer.
expression_assignment.png
expression_assignment.png (25.15 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
Another thing, by default, if the option below is NOT checked, an expression will be attached to ALL layers when it is entered into the score. This can be changed later with the procedure described above.
favour.png
favour.png (39.19 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Mithrandir

Post by Mithrandir » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks to try help, but I now discover dynamics are not working with cc1+velocity for sustained instruments. Before it was working. Then I am not able to test it if it is working. Finale looks very good for engraving, and have some nice idea for playback, but playback parts looks very nonintuitive and I am afraid it not works as expected. Maybe it working if I'll use garritan or another VSTi inside Finale, but I don't want use VSTi inside Finale.

Mithrandir

Post by Mithrandir » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:51 am

Today I try open FInale, and dynamics are working back. Ok, I put dynamics with Favor A.. to Active Layer, set dynamics to corresponding layer and nothing happens. Dynamics still play only for layer 1, other layers ignore dynamic marks.