True Regular Measure Width

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Carlspost1
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Carlspost1 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:02 am

Hi All,
I have been using the standard method of setting the measure widths to be all the same size. (ie Document Options- Music Spacing) It all seems to work fine except if there is a change of key or time signature. The measure with the new clef or time signature appears to be automatically expanded to accommodate the new clef. Is there a way to make a 'hard fix' of the measure lines so that they are all the same width without exception?
I have only been able to do this by manually decreasing the size of the bars in question. I am hoping there is a much easier way..
Thank you for your help. :)

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Welcome to the forum!

It is not clear to me, what problem you are trying to solve ?!?

Your words make me wonder:
“Is there a way to make a 'hard fix' of the measure lines so that they are all the same width without exception?”

1) Do you need all the measure to have the same width?
or
2) Do you need all the barlines to line up?

NB: 1) and 2) are not the same thing!
Even if all the barlines line up, the measures may not all have the same width (but obviously measures vertically below each other have the same width).

It might be easier to understand if you also explain why you need it.
Is it e. g. because you are creating a canon layout?

The better we understand, the better we can help you.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Carlspost1

Post by Carlspost1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:09 pm

Thanks you so much for your reply Peter!

It gets as little confusing because in my part of the world we only speak in 'bars' and 'bar lines', so I may have used the term 'measure' incorrectly. :?:

What I am trying to do is create a long musical score in 'scroll view' and then set the bar lines at exactly equal distances apart.
The idea being so that I can print the score and make cuts at each bar line so that all the bars will stack like a neat deck of cards.
....Probably the strangest reason you've ever heard- but its for a teaching resource that I am trying to make. :D

Like I mentioned before the problem is that any any change in clef or time signature results in that bar being automatically expanded to fit the change, so the alignment is lost.

Many thanks again,
Carlspost1

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:10 am

Carlspost1 wrote:… The measure with the new clef or time signature appears to be automatically expanded to accommodate the new clef …
Since you use the words ‘clef’ and ‘time signature’, I conclude that your Finale document is a 1-staff document (with many measures), right?

Carlspost1 wrote:… The idea being so that I can print the score, and make cuts at each bar line, so that all the bars will stack like a neat deck of cards …
If I understand you correctly, you need the option of (re-)arranging the printed measures in any order, right?

In a case like this I would keep each measure in its own system.

See the attached demo document.

To position multiple systems next to each other, go to the Page Layout menu, and de-select “Allow Margin Collisions”.
Attachments
EquidistantBarlines.musx.zip
(13.58 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Carlspost1

Post by Carlspost1 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks Peter,
Much appreciated.
I have another different question to do with the same project but I will re-post it as a separate issue.
Cheers!