Learning Finale

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ChrisJazzy
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by ChrisJazzy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:15 pm

I've used Finale a bit in the past. Now have to use it for a jazz composing and arranging class. What is the best way you found to learn Finale? Is it using their tutorials?

Finale 25 on MacOSX

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by dankreider » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Do you have access to Lynda.com? They provide excellent tutorials, including Finale. Your educational institution may offer access.
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:19 pm

It would seem to me that if the class requires it, the school should be teaching you how to use it... Unless, of course, "familiarity with Finale" was one of the prerequisites of the class.

I would start with the tutorials, and if that isn't enough, Lynda.com.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:20 pm

There's no better way than attempting a project of the kind of work you plan to do in the future.
Press buttons wildly. Select stuff. Click on stuff. Right-click on stuff. Look at all the menu items. Dive into nested dialogs upon nested dialog.

The Quickstart Videos are surprisingly good. The Help pages with the "Metatools" and keyboard shortcuts are invaluable.

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by dankreider » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:43 pm

Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:41 pm

BTs idea of starting out with a project is good, except that it can lead to a lot of frustration. You really need to know the basics, before jumping in and pushing the buttons.

Watch the Finale videos, work a couple of the tutorials, and then you can begin the project. Feel free to ask for help with specific problems, once you have the general idea.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ChrisJazzy
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by ChrisJazzy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:46 am

dankreider wrote:Do you have access to Lynda.com? They provide excellent tutorials, including Finale. Your educational institution may offer access.
Thank you for this. I've thought about this to improve on Logic Pro too, and Lynda.com seems so reasonable in price
miker wrote:Watch the Finale videos, work a couple of the tutorials, and then you can begin the project. Feel free to ask for help with specific problems, once you have the general idea.
Finale has sent me emails with links to training occasionally since I've bought the latest version. I'll plunge in.

Hey Everybody! Thanks for this warm welcome of good advice!! I'll tell you how it all goes.