making drum notation different

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

machinevos
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by machinevos » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:25 am

I want to edit drums notation.
how do i make it so that the bass drum is one note lower?
How do i make de bars of the notes on top of the notes instead of the bottom?
The hi hat closed is an "x" the hi hat open is the same "x" how do i make it so that they are different? I want the hi hat open to have a little "o" on top of it. How do i delete the words "drum set" and the "D.S."? How do i have a tempo notation in the sheet?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:04 pm

To change the position of the notes, you have to go through the Score Manager>Percussion>Settings... and edit the Percussion Map for the Drum Set. I would suggest duplicating the current map, and editing and using the copy.

To have the beams above the notes, select one of the notes in the group and tap the L key.

As far as I know, you will have to make an expression with a small o and apply it where needed.

You change the staff full name and abbreviated name in the staff manager.

You add the tempo mark as an expression.

I really suggest you watch the tutorials.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:20 pm

miker wrote:To change the position of the notes, you have to go through the Score Manager>Percussion>Settings... and edit the Percussion Map for the Drum Set. I would suggest duplicating the current map, and editing and using the copy …
I could be wrong here, but I think that you only have to edit the Percussion Layout - not the Percussion MIDI Map.
In the Percussion Layout you can also edit/change the font characters used for the noteheads, and e. g. use x noteheads for specific sounds.

miker wrote:… To have the beams above the notes, select one of the notes in the group and tap the L key …
You can also use layers, and e. g. enter the upper notes (= the hi hat notes) in Layer 1, and the lower notes in Layer 2.
You can customize how the layers behave (with stems up/down &c.) in {Document Options - Layers}.

miker wrote:… As far as I know, you will have to make an expression with a small o and apply it where needed …
You can also do it with the Articulation Tool.
Just “another way to skin the cat”.

miker wrote:… I really suggest you watch the tutorials …
+ 1!
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996