jazz drum style

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ChrisJazzy
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by ChrisJazzy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:25 am

Okay so my jazz composition teacher likes the drums notated a certain way, say on a chart with piano, sax, bass, and drums.

I'm trying to be able to combine slash notation AND notes on the "G" line and "D" line like this attachment. I was recently at the NAMM show a few weeks ago, a Finale rep was there, and I swear he did it with layers !! ...something like the notes on the G line were Layer 1, the slashes were Layer 2, and the D line was Layer 3, or whatever. But I can't replicate that now. Foolishly it looked so simple when he did it, I didn't write it down. :( The key problem seems to be that no matter the layer used, the slash notation seems to delete any notes above or below the slashes.

Just FYI,
-the notation on the G line is for cueing the drummer to the general rhythm of sections of the tune,
-the center of the staff is for any specific rhythms the composer wishes the drummer to play, and
-the D line cues the drummer to specific bass line rhythms the composer wants to emphasize.

Ideas? Thank you.
Attachments
drumexample2.jpg
drumexample2.jpg (28.11 KiB) Viewed 2344 times

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:36 pm

The key is the definition of the slash staff style. Either edit the existing one, or better, create a new one, click on 'alternate notation', select slash notation, a layer and check the boxes so that the notes display in the other layers.
Finally, if you want to work fast, create a keyboard shortcut for the new staff style (Shift - shortcut to define it).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

ChrisJazzy
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by ChrisJazzy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:30 pm

michelp wrote:The key is the definition of the slash staff style. Either edit the existing one, or better, create a new one, click on 'alternate notation', select slash notation, a layer and check the boxes so that the notes display in the other layers...
Oh my, michelp, you obviously have kindly revealed a Finale Master Secret. I've been playing with that setting for about 15 minutes, creating a "new slash staff style" (which I see wonderfully shows in the dialogue box afterwards and I can give it a unique name), plus using the "hide" command judiciously in other layers to hide rests while "showing" notes, and I think I'm very close to getting what I want.

As a beginner following this forum, I'm starting to see there are many secrets deep under the hood of Finale.

Many thanks. I'll report back when I get it exactly.
Attachments
Screen Shot Finale.png
Screen Shot Finale.png (48.24 KiB) Viewed 2317 times