Why is Finale changing other staffs when I copy notes??

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bhuether
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by bhuether » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:28 pm

Ok, this is insane... I have Finale 2014 project. It has staffs for melody, drums, bass. I have a MIDI file that contains the melody. Imported that ok. Also have MIDI file for accompaniment. When I open the accompaniment file, select its notes, then import into my project, it applies some sort of transposition to my other staffs! Bass notes change, melody changes, as well as chord symbols attached to melody staff. WTF!!! Can someone tell me how to prevent this offensive behavior?

thanks

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Since we have little information, giving an appropriate answer might be hard. First, if the MIDI file is not set up for proper Bass staff transposition, it might be copying notes from concert pitch to transposed pitch. That can be fixed after import. Percussion might be importing into a staff with a drum layout using different note assignments. That can also be changed after import.

If you have both files available to attach here, we could test things for you to find better answers.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

bhuether
Finale Version: 2014

Post by bhuether » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Still trying to figure this out, and revisiting this topic.

So imagine you have a score with guitar, bass, etc. Guitars on staff 1 and 2. Piano on staff 3.

I have separate MIDI file exported from Reaper that has piano. It is one channel. All G clef. I open the MIDI file in Finale, then copy one bar from the MIDI file. Then I go to my score and paste into a bar in the score. And both guitar staffs have their notes altered based on the copying of the piano!! So before, guitar had C6 and C in measures 1 and 2. Pasting the MIDI into the keyboard staff somehow additionally transposes the guitar notes, and even the chord names change to A6 A.

THis is really crazy. Why on earth would finale think I want other parts of my score to alter just because I am copying notes from another file into an empty bar??

There has to be some setting somewhere, but I can't find it... I just want to prevent Finale from ever modifying data without my consent...

thanks, Brian

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Without seeing the files to examine them, we would only be guessing. A setting or 2 might be off, and it needs to be found, but there are many factors, and I would hate to guess. If you could attach the 2 sample files, I'm sure we could be of better help.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."