Hearing

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Carlos
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by Carlos » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:03 am

Hello to the forum>
When I click PLAY FINALE THOUGH VST. I can hear the music of my score
When I click PLAY FINALE THROUGH MIDI. I cant hear anything. What's wrong?

Finale 2016
Window 10

Thank you, regards,

Carlos

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Generally, when switching to MIDI, the instruments assign automatically. It could be as simple to just click Reload MIDI Driver to get MIDI playback. Using MIDI is not necessary inferior to VST, as there are instruments available with MIDI not available with VST. Also, using MIDI gives the opportunity to link to devices outside of Finale. VST is not the end-all of sound. It just might be that the MIDI slots haven't been assigned in the MIDI setup. There are answers to the situation when MIDI sounds don't play. If you give us more information about things, it might be we can find the answer.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:34 pm

When someone asks for help, "Why in the world would you want to do that?" is generally not helpful. I use MIDI output exclusively because I'm interested in checking for wrong notes rather than simulating a performance and MIDI output is cleaner than Garritan.

As Zuill says, you shouldn't have to assign anything unless you're using unusual instruments, but you might look in the Score Manager in the Device and Sound columns and see what it says.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Also, there are many bugs with Finale and VST where MIDI data is not manipulated properly. Also, many of the Garritan sounds used in VST are way too soft. Using VST can be daunting, and the results can by iffy at best.

Anyway, I hope we can help to get the MIDI playback working. It might be that the Softsynth file is not correctly selected.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:01 am

zuill wrote:Also, there are many bugs with Finale and VST where MIDI data is not manipulated properly. Also, many of the Garritan sounds used in VST are way too soft. Using VST can be daunting, and the results can by iffy at best.

Anyway, I hope we can help to get the MIDI playback working. It might be that the Softsynth file is not correctly selected.

Zuill
Thanks for your help, regards
Carlos

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:01 am

motet wrote:When someone asks for help, "Why in the world would you want to do that?" is generally not helpful. I use MIDI output exclusively because I'm interested in checking for wrong notes rather than simulating a performance and MIDI output is cleaner than Garritan.

As Zuill says, you shouldn't have to assign anything unless you're using unusual instruments, but you might look in the Score Manager in the Device and Sound columns and see what it says.
Thanks for your help, regards,
Carlos