Chords fonts question

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

detlef
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by detlef » Sun May 21, 2017 8:59 am

Hi
Changing fonts suffix does not affect existing documents, and when chords fonts dimension is increased with "Scale chords by %" chords letters overlaps and are almost unreadable.

How can I increase chords (name and suffix) of existing documents without starting all over?
I'm reading about Finale "chords libraries" but I'm not sure if these are related to my question.

Thanks

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun May 21, 2017 11:14 am

Indeed it is time consuming to create a complete library of chord suffixes.

For a {once-in-a-lifetime, quick-and-dirty} solution, consider this:

Add an extra staff, just for the display of chord symbols.
In this extra staff, de-select the display of anything else: Clefs, Key Signatures, Time Signatures, &c. &c.
To get rid of the barlines, move the barlines vertically into the neighbour staff.

Attach the chord symbols to this, extra staff.

Use the Resize Tool (icon: %) to resize this extra staff.
The chord symbols will be resized with the staff.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

detlef
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by detlef » Sun May 21, 2017 2:15 pm

What happens if I reinstall completely Finale? All my existing documents (that I kept of course) will be displayed fine except for the newly chords I created right?
So I just need to recreate those, minding to set the desired chords font right at the beginning this time.

Are there settings that can get lost by reinstalling the program?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun May 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Apparently, you didn't follow Peter's suggestion and you have created your own suffixes, If I understand you.
If this is the case, save your own chord suffixes into a library (preferably containing nothing but your own suffixes) via the File menu.
If you reinstall Finale for some reason, you can always load that library into your documents (also via the File menu). The suffixes of your library will be added under the existing suffixes.
You could also load the library into your templates and Finale's default files (Maestro Font Default, etc....).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua