Mac Scanning Workaround in SmartScore Lite

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

davidf500
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by davidf500 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:27 am

I'm sure this has been covered before, but it's easier for me to ask again than find the right thread. I have Finale Print Music 2014.5 which comes with SmartScore Lite. I'm using a Mac with OS Sierra 10.12 (ten point one two) and a wireless Canon all-in-one printer/scanner. SmartScore Lite does not recognize the scanner, and I assume this to be the issue with Apple and TWAIN drivers. I have created both PDF and TIFF scans using Apple Image Capture as per the recommended workaround; however, there does not seem to be a way to get SmartScore Lite to recognize them. Is there a workaround that works with SmartScore Lite ? I have asked this question in the SmartScore forum and it was suggested I try here, although I think it's a SmartScore question. How do I scan something into Finale Print Music using SmartScore Lite when I'm working on a Mac with OS Sierra ?
Mac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
OS 10.12 Sierra
PrintMusic 2014.5

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:06 pm

You should be able to import a TIFF. In Finale, it's File > Import > TIFF File. I don't know if this option exists in Print Music. Also, within the SSL dialog, there's "Add Files to list".

It's worth saying that without the Pro features of the "non-Lite" version, the results tend to look like a spiky dog.

Apple discontinued the use of TWAIN drivers for scanning many years ago: SSL never took notice of this.
Last edited by BuonTempi on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Check the documentation for SmartScore Lite.

Can it really import PDF files?

And what about TIFF files?
I could be wrong here, but I seem to recall that the files must not be compressed with LZW compression.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:25 pm

BT is correct; File>Import>TIFF

(I've copied my response to your question in the SmartScore forum)

I have limited experience with the SS Lite, but it was pretty useless. Notes and rests are generally pretty darn accurate. The most common errors in scanning are missing barlines, dots, ties, and triplets. When you bring a score into Finale, you have to figure out what's wrong, and then, correct them. All while going back and forth between the original and the result. And it's even harder in PrintMusic, which doesn't have all of the same advanced features of Finale.

On the other hand...

Working with SSX2 is a pleasure. The recognized scan is displayed in a split screen just below the original. Duration errors are indicated by a different color, and corrections are often much easier. Once you learn the program - and make no mistake, you have to learn it - you will be able to get those scores into Finale or PM faster than you could by any other entry method.

And yes: use the Mac's Image Capture program to scan the original. Scan in Black & White, at 300 dpi. If you have a scanner with auto feed, don't use it. Stick with the flatbed.

Good luck!

(To which another SSP forum user added)

...Deskew in the image editor before recognition! Mikey's advice about doing the scan on the glass rather than autofeed will go a long way to avoid skew, but even a little can sometimes create issues, and it doesn't take very long to perform; far less time than correcting errors.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Peter,

SSL can't import PDF files. The Pro version will, but it automatically converts them to TIFF.

My suspicion is that Musictek's new offering, Music to XML, does the same thing. The experiences of Buon Tempi (and myself) find this product to be as useless as SSL. Without the editing capabilities of the Pro line products, you will probably be presented with quite a mess.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

davidf500

Post by davidf500 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:34 am

Thank you for you replies. I have scanned the score as TIFF files using Apple Image Capture. I can import the TIFF files into SSL. When I start recognition it fails because Java hasn't been installed properly. I have the latest version (Java 8). SSL prompted me to download an older version (Java 6 SE), which I did and it installed successfully, but I till get the Java not installed correctly message. Do I need to uninstall Java 8 ?
OS 10.12 Sierra
PrintMusic 2014.5

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:37 pm

davidf500 wrote:Do I need to uninstall Java 8 ?
Depends what apps you have that use it.
Some apps still require the older, 32-bit Java 6 SE, which you can download from Apple. Finale 2014 is one of these apps. Adobe Creative Suite 6 is another. They can't use the newer, 64-bit versions of Java.

You can have more than one Java installed, so there's no harm. You can delete Java 8, and if some app requires it, it will let you know.

Finale 25 does not require a separate Java installation, as it has it built-in.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:46 am

davidf500 wrote:Thank you for you replies. I have scanned the score as TIFF files using Apple Image Capture. I can import the TIFF files into SSL. When I start recognition it fails because Java hasn't been installed properly. I have the latest version (Java 8). SSL prompted me to download an older version (Java 6 SE), which I did and it installed successfully, but I till get the Java not installed correctly message. Do I need to uninstall Java 8 ?
8 is 64bit only. 6 is 32bit only. They do not overlap, neither do they conflict.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:52 am

BuonTempi wrote:
davidf500 wrote:Do I need to uninstall Java 8 ?
Depends what apps you have that use it.
Some apps still require the older, 32-bit Java 6 SE, which you can download from Apple. Finale 2014 is one of these apps. Adobe Creative Suite 6 is another. They can't use the newer, 64-bit versions of Java.

You can have more than one Java installed, so there's no harm. You can delete Java 8, and if some app requires it, it will let you know.

Finale 25 does not require a separate Java installation, as it has it built-in.
Finale 25 does not have Java built in. It does not require it at all.

Few apps use Java 8 (there are exceptions). Many web sites require a Java runtime and will not work if you dont have it installed.

When Oracle bought SUN Micro, they no longer allowed Java run times to be bundled with operating systems. Even though Microsoft and Apple licensed JRE 6 from SUN, they are not allowed to bundle it.
Mike Halloran

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:13 am

MikeHalloran wrote:Finale 25 does not have Java built in. It does not require it at all.
I must have been confused by the contents of: /Applications/Finale.app/Contents/PlugIns/MusicXML.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java
which does a very good impression of several JAR files and a Java run-time environment to run them in.

davidf500

Post by davidf500 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks Mike. The problem I'm having is that I have installed Java 6 SE but SSL gives the message "Java was not initialized correctly" and I don't know how to fix it (I have installed Java 6 SE three times). When I acknowledge the Java error I then get another message saying "While attempting to access “temp.XML” the File Manager reported an error. Finale PrintMusic - Error occurred. ID = -3". If I search for Finale error ID -3 I don't find anything. I guess I should try a trial version of SS Pro and see if I get any further than I have with SSL that came with PrintMusic (which is nowhere so far).
OS 10.12 Sierra
PrintMusic 2014.5

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:48 am

Your best course of action is to contact either MakeMusic or Musitek for support.
davidf500 wrote:(I have installed Java 6 SE three times).
If one re-install doesn't fix it, then the problem is likely not with the installation.

davidf500

Post by davidf500 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:07 pm

OK. I seem to be making some progress. I have been able to import a single page TIFF and convert it, and it doesn't look too bad. This gives me something to experiment with. Thanks for your input everyone. No doubt I'll be back with another question at some stage !
OS 10.12 Sierra
PrintMusic 2014.5

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:56 am

davidf500 wrote:Thanks Mike. The problem I'm having is that I have installed Java 6 SE but SSL gives the message "Java was not initialized correctly" and I don't know how to fix it (I have installed Java 6 SE three times). When I acknowledge the Java error I then get another message saying "While attempting to access “temp.XML” the File Manager reported an error. Finale PrintMusic - Error occurred. ID = -3". If I search for Finale error ID -3 I don't find anything. I guess I should try a trial version of SS Pro and see if I get any further than I have with SSL that came with PrintMusic (which is nowhere so far).

Did you download the right build? It has to be this one released January 2015:
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US

You can also get it from MakeMusic.https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... PrintMusic

There are other builds of JRE 6 available from Apple and Oracle that will not work.
Mike Halloran

davidf500

Post by davidf500 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:56 am

Thanks Mike. I'm pretty sure I downloaded Java 6 SE via the prompt in either SSL or PrintMusic. Anyway, I have resolved that problem so I am now able to have PrintMusic recognize my scanned TIFF files.
OS 10.12 Sierra
PrintMusic 2014.5