Instruments & Staves

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

PM-Bill
Finale Version: 2014a.v855
Operating System: Windows

Post by PM-Bill » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Hello, I have Finale PrintMusic 2014a.v855 and Windows 10. Using SmartScore Lite I scanned in my choral music. It starts out with two staves, one for Soprano-Alto and one for Tenor-Bass. A few pages in, it goes to three staves, Soprano-Alto, Tenor, and Bass. How do I manage the voices/instruments so the right instrument is on the correct stave? Would this be using the Score Manager? How can I best learn how to use the Score Manager tool to change voices/instruments? Thanks in advance for any help.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 am

You can add staves in the Score Manager, and assign instruments to them. Then, you will have unscrew whatever you got from SmartScore Lite, and copy and paste it, section by section. Remember that you can't add that extra staff in the middle of the score; you add it from the beginning, and hide it where you don't want it.

If you plan on doing a lot of this sort of thing, I strongly suggest that you save your coins, and buy SmartScore Pro. As a PM owner, you get it at a 50% discount. The ability to edit the recognized score BEFORE bringing it into PM makes all the difference.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society