Is there a fix for Finale's exit document bug?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:31 am

I think if I close a document and wait a few minutes, Finale (v2012) will not hang....I think. Version 2011 had the same bug as v2007.

About seven times out of 10, when I close a document or exit Finale, Windows reports that Finale is "Not responding," and I must use Task Manager to terminate the hang. This bug is on both computers that I use. None of the other big programs I use have this problem, and I use Corel Video Studio, Paint Shop Pro, Word 2010 and other sophisticated programs. I love Finale, but it is very unstable. Fabulous but flaky is Finale. This bug reminds me of Windows 98 that also has a shutdown problem, despite a patch released by Microsoft.

Has anybody else had this problem and found a solution?

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:20 pm

What version of Windows are you on? Is it compatible with the version of Finale you're using?

It is conceivable that it's a local problem to your computer, even if only Finale is affected and no other apps. I don't think I've heard of a general or widespread problem of this nature on the forums.
You might do well to contact MakeMusic for support, though any fixes are likely to involve upgrading to their latest version (which has many benefits besides bug fixes.)

Djard

Post by Djard » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:34 pm

I am using the Steve Balmer Signature edition of Windows 7, since Win 8 and later incorporate telemetry, which is spyware. If Finale 2012 is the only software incompatible with Windows 7, the last honest version of Windows, then the problem is surely with MakeMusic.

May I ask what features in the latest version of Finale were the incentive for you to upgrade?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 pm

I used to experience such crashing when closing Finale. I think it was Finale 2011 on Windows XP, and I forget what fixed it, but I suspect it's hardware-related rather than related to Finale version or Windows version, perhaps your audio hardware, especially if you have something unusual. Make sure your drivers are all up to date, etc. I guess I'm skeptical that MM has fixed anything that would affect it, but you could download the demo and try. The other thing to try would be to "trash your preferences" and see if that fixes it.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Djard wrote:I am using the Steve Balmer Signature edition of Windows 7, since Win 8 and later incorporate telemetry, which is spyware.
No it isn't. But a quick Google shows me plenty of instructions for turning off telemetry on Windows (including v7, which suggests it also has it).
Djard wrote:If Finale 2012 is the only software incompatible with Windows 7, the last honest version of Windows, then the problem is surely with MakeMusic.
As motet suggests, there could be other causes or contributing factors. "I have a problem with this app" does not necessarily mean a bug in the app. For instance, bugs in the OS or drivers could cause particular apps to fail. Bad audio drivers are not going to affect PaintShop Pro and Word.
Djard wrote:May I ask what features in the latest version of Finale were the incentive for you to upgrade?
Since 2012? In terms of productivity, the improved speed, the better handling of rests and accidentals in layers, proper dashed slurs, and many fixes of annoying bugs. The standardized file format and continual updating of Music XML is welcome. To say nothing of the modernization of the code. Not least of all is that I'm running a version which continues to be supported and developed. There have been 4 significant updates to F 25 in a year, and they show no signs of stopping. I don't want to find myself running into a problem on unsupported software with a discontinued OS that was last updated 6 years ago.

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:11 am

Maybe the problem is h'ware related. But on my PC I easily demux, edit in a DAW with various sampling rates, multiplex and recode huge audio-video files with over 40 multimedia tools, a far more complex process than closing a 200 KB file. All my drivers are up to date. Version 2012c should be compatible with Win 7, since Microsoft still sends me updates. I guess the matter will remain a mystery.

bvstudios
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by bvstudios » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:03 pm

I live with a variation of this. Whenever I exit Finale (2014.a), it first gives a note onscreen that it is "trying to recover" information (although I have saved the file and used the "File/exit" method to close the program), then after a few seconds flashes the "Finale is res-starting" box onscreen and if I do not catch it quickly, it follows through and restarts.

It's been going on for about nine months. It's a little annoying, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do. Already re-installed Finale (didn't scrub the registry, tho') and my Windows 7 is up to date.

It's annoying sometimes, but there are worse things.
K M Frye
BVStudios
Victoria
Finale 26, 2014.5, 2012 Print Music 2011b, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2004, 2000,1997
GPO4, JABB3, World Instruments.
S-I drums

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:10 am

I ran a test that strongly suggests that Finale's algorithms are the problem. By following the steps below, I have not experienced the freeze-upon-exit problem.

1. After saving a file and ready to close the document, wait at least 30 seconds for Finale to complete its silent (goodbye) handshake with Windows.
2. Wait at least another 30 seconds before exiting Finale.

Something else I noticed is that if I write simple lines, such as for orchestra, Finale is quite stable. But if I write for classical, jazz or flamenco guitar, i.e. polyphonic notation with up to four active layers and lots of expressions and articulations, Finale gets confused and becomes unstable. Finale is definitely not classical guitar friendly.

I am keen to learn if others eliminate the exit problem by closing a document and exiting sloooooooowly.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Curious, but I don't think that proves it's Finale's algorithms. It might be interesting to find the minimum amount of time you must wait.